Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Dieting Around Kids

I never use the word DIET around my girls. I just don't feel good about it. I never say I'm too fat or anything like that. I never put myself down around them. I guess I want them to *think* I have a good body image. (wink, wink).

I'm trying to become the person I'm pretending to be. We do discuss that I'm eating healthier foods, because believe me...my 7 year old has noticed that mommy isn't chowing down on the fast food and chocolate any more. She also notices mommy is hitting the treadmill frequently. I just tell her health is important to me. We try to get some exercise as a family and talk about healthy eating as a family. I told her I'm making healthier choices and changes. Nothing has been said about my weight.

I WISH they didn't have to see the zillion commercials about weight loss that zoom across on the TV (especially in January) or hear their grandmother (my MIL) obsess about her weight. I wish those worries would disappear for them...but I know they will come one day whether they have weight issues or not.

Is it okay that I don't say mommy is trying to lose weight or mommy is on a diet? Although I'm sure they know what it is! I thought I was doing such a good job at this, and then my oldest said, "Mom, how many points is that?" Oh, no....what do I say about this???



I want my girls to be strong. Self-confident. Secure. Healthy. Energetic. You know...everything I'm not. Everything I want to be. Everything I'm trying to become.

Is there a secret to achieving this?

Happy February!
J

9 comments:

  1. What a fantastic mother you are. It's not all about your weight, right? Kids notice everything, don't they? Leading by example is the best thing...not obsession. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Darla - acting as a positive role model is probably the best thing you can do. There is absolutely no way to shelter children from all of the messages they will see/hear in the media. What you can do though, is show them what's important (fitness, good food) and what's not (obsessing over pounds, trying to be something they're not, loving what makes them unique). Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're setting a wonderful example for your girls. It's about eating healthier and getting some exercise. I too never say diet. My son will ask why we're eating certain things...and we say we're just trying to be healthier so our bodies will be strong. One time he overheard me tell my husband that I was feeling really chubby...and I couldn't believe how upset he got with me. He loves Biggest Loser...and sometimes I'll catch him getting on the scale. It's so hard to know what the right thing is. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think being a good example is key, and that is just what you are :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're doing great! You are bringing the focus on being healthier, not skinnier.

    I have 13-year-old twin girls and we had a talk a few months back that I didn't start trying to lose weight because I felt ugly or less than anyone else. I was having body pain and knew that my unhealthy weight was the cause.

    We joke about me getting "skinny" but I keep making a point whenever possible that God made us the way we are - perfect in his sight - and I believe they know that it's not simply about looks.

    I have to mention that neither one of my girls has a weight issue, in fact I don't think they even realize how pretty their figures are. I don't mention it, so it won't become a focus for them. We also don't have a t.v., but seeing one in a hotel a week or so ago made me totally understand why young girls are obsessing with their bodies and self-acceptance. wow.

    Keep up your good work - both on your health and with your girls. You sound like you have a good balance.

    As for the points question? Answer it and maybe make it a game? Or answer and then move on... I don't think it's a big deal for them to know about it, if they figure it on their own. I don't mention calories, but I'm sure my kids notice me tracking them on my iPod touch.

    Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful job you're doing raising your girls to know that health is what matters way before appearance. I truly hope that I'm able to raise my children in such a way. Fortunately my children are young enough (not born yet) that I still have time to make drastic changes in my life before they're old enough to see mom losing weight.

    Just keep explaining that you eat what you eat because it is good for you, not because it will make you skinny or weigh less. I think you're doing a wonderfully noble thing and wish you only the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on you for not harping on about fat and diets and adding to an already stressful media world we live in!! LOVE your attitude. I'm the same with my kids, but since I have boys, a lot of it just isn't 100% the same. My Mr7 knows I've lost weight cos he's noticed. I say I'm just making sure my body is healthy and fueling it with food that gives me energy! HE loves that I have energy, that he can come on a bike run as a walk or run... things like that! The slimmer body I've said is the result of being healthier - that's what our bodies are designed to do (be less fat)... but I've explained it in a matter of fact type of way. Not in a 'oooh yuck I was fat".. or "other people need to be like I am and diet". Just that my body is responding to the increased energy I have and that my smaller body means I can run more with him :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. What everyone else said - you're setting a good example!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!!