I'm keeping Weight Watchers a secret from people in my life. My husband, my mom, my sisters, and my teammates at work are the only people who know. Oh, yeah and Cindy knows.
I have NOT told my inlaws or anyone at church about WW. None of my other friends know. I don't want anyone who may see my mother-in-law to tell her. Is that silly or what?
Let me tell you why.
If I tell her, she will start to monitor my food. She will try to count points for me. She will think she has to "watch" me. Then, I will get angry and upset...
Eventually, she is going to notice that I have lost weight. Eventually, she will ask someone about it (not me of course). And, I don't want them to tell her it is WW. I don't want her to know I am counting points. I don't want her to even think for ONE MINUTE that she can count my points.
Do you think that's stupid?
I also haven't told any of them about my running...
My husband wants me to tell them about my race this weekend. I just say I'm going on a "girls' weekend"---well, that's true, too. It just happens to include a 5K.
I don't want HER to ask me ..."did you run today, dear?"...ugh....
I don't want her to monitor that either.
I like what I'm doing. I don't want her to steal my joy. I don't want to have ammunition to use against me. That's sounds brutal, doesn't it!
Is this making any sense???? Or, am I completely nutty????
Sealed lips,
J
I don't think you are nutty. You are doing this for you and not for anyone else. You don't need the extra pressure. Good for you! ~Stephanie
ReplyDeletebethebutterflies@blogspot.com
I totally get where you're coming from. I never want anyone knowing I'm "watching" what I eat...especially my mil. I love her...but she weighs about 100 lbs. and is very self disciplined (unlike like me!) If she's knows I'm watching she will say, are you "allowed" to eat that if I make it? Drives me crazy!
ReplyDeleteNo, you aren't being nutty at all! :) YOU know your MIL, so if she's prone to doing these types of things then by all means keep it a "secret"!
ReplyDeleteGlad you can share with us. :)
I 100% agree with you. You don't need anyone stealing your bliss. And a lot of people will screech out the dreaded words, "Are you allowed to eat that?" Ummm, yeah, I'm 49 - I'm allowed to eat anything I want. It's just too frustrating. Besides, I think people get sick about hearing about people's "diets" anyway. It's a very personal thing. Do what works for you. I think you're awesome.
ReplyDeleteBTW, I rushed out (again) and bought TIGI Bed Head Urban Antidotes Re-Energize Shampoo and Conditioner # 1. I must really love your opinion. I haven't used it yet, but it was on sale from $58.00 to $38.00 (yep, Canada).
I can't say I blame you for wanting to keep this experience personal. Do what feels right for you. Is it really anyone's business but your own? Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteI completely get it! She found out about my blog, and now reads it. She started questioning every little thing and I told her that she was ruining my therapy, my chance at doing this.
ReplyDeleteOh I hear you. Nope, it isn't nutty, weird, stupid, or anything remotely like that. You are only accountable to YOU, and you are doin' this! Wahooo.. And yeah, you do not need her having any info on you that has to do with her obsession. Ug. She's bad enough as it is.
ReplyDeleteI hope your dh can remember not to mention...it is soo ok to have some parts of your life kept private! Especially when you have a darn good idea what would happen if she knew. Yuck, monitoring your consumption.
Last week I had someone comment about my menu selection (we ate at a restaurant in a group). She commented when I ordered, and again the next day. Not rudely, but she mentioned surprise that I would eat french fries. !? I don't think we owe anyone any explanations, and I was shocked to have my selections noticed at all. (yes, ppl know I am working on WL, but it is a lifestyle..I'm in for the long haul. So I ate maybe 1/2 C FF?) I don't think this happened to me before, and it didn't feel nice, so yes, guard!!
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Do what is best for you. The blogger community is totally rooting for you! Glad you can talk here. I feel bad for Dawne (above) having lost some privacy..
Chrissy
I totally get it. I hate it when people count calories for me...
ReplyDeleteTotallllly get it. I HATE the 'oh.. can you eat that on your diet?" comments you get .. *rolls eyes*. Seriously, I am in charge of counting my calories, let me enjoy my damn cake.
ReplyDeletexx This is YOURS.
I have a list of people I don't let know about my blog or my dieting habits for similar reasons. Glad I stumbled on your blog - thought I was the only one keeping my diet a secret. :)
ReplyDeleteI know this was from a couple of days ago, but I just gotta tell you...I kept my weight loss venture a secret the whole time. I did Nutrisystem for a couple of months and would take the meals out of their original packaging and put it in tupperware so it looked like leftovers. I didn't tell ANYONE. I don't question anyone else's meals so I didn't want them questioning mine. And I'm hard enough on myself to have to have someone else's opinion pushed on me.
ReplyDeleteThis is about YOU so do whatever you need to do to be successful!!