Friday, February 4, 2011

10,080

There are 10,080 minutes in a week. When trying to lose weight, it feels like it takes each and every single one of those minutes of BIG effort to be successful. Or...at least it does to me at times. Working in an elementary school, I am constantly tempted. Students and parents shower me with food to show their love, I've had numerous birthday parties to attend lately, my anniversary, a baby shower, a going-away luncheon, and on and on and on. Sometimes it feels like my will-power has to be "ON" every one of those 10,080 minutes.

Losing weight has been a huge battle. In my case (maybe yours?), it is rarely far from my thoughts. I have tried so hard over the years...often giving up when I couldn't take it. It took me awhile to find my groove. I am confident I am staying here. I often get angry with myself for the weight I have lost and regained and lost and regained over and over so many times. Talk about wasted effort. But, the fact is...this is difficult!

So why after 10,080 minutes of trying hard all week, doing the right thing most of the time, do we let ourselves be ruled by a FEW SECONDS ON A SCALE while weighing in????

Why do we let THAT moment define whether or not we have been successful or failed? After all, we really already know depending on how those minutes went right? Sometimes those minutes are perfect, but the scale doesn't reflect that. Why would we let the darn scale ruin a perfectly great week? It's frustrating I know.

I am guilty.

I was so good for 21 days in January when I didn't weigh myself. I judged my success by how I felt, by the fit of my clothes, and things like how my skin and nails looked. NOW, I am weighing EVERY morning. I am tied to the darn number. I am frustrated when it doesn't move fast enough for my liking. I am afraid to admit I might be a bit ounce obsessed. This morning, I did a little dance that I lost .2 from yesterday! Ridiculous! I know.

I knew I had a good week. My clothes are so baggy. More and more people are asking me if I am "doing something." I know it's working. Why did I need that scale to confirm I did well? Just so I could know that I lost exactly 2.4 pounds this week???

I think I am going to make my new rule to only weigh on Fridays. My WW weigh in day. Can I do it? I'm not really sure. I really don't enjoy surprises on weigh in day...well, I should say I don't enjoy gains as surprises. But, I don't like being a slave to my scale either. I'm going to work on it. Maybe I'll do twice a week??? That may be more doable for me. (I know...did I just read my own post?)

Don't worry about the scale so much...and I'll try not to either!

Anyway, I hope your 10,080 minutes were fabulous this week! Have a great weekend!
J

8 comments:

  1. Oooh - great post! Seems I struggle most of those minutes too... thinking about food. Sure would love to not have that going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yet, when I ignore it, it somehow conspires with local convenience stores and fast food joints to add pounds back on. Good for you, for being able to just be sensible without being a slave to the scale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought my first scale in my adult life on December 7th. That was the first day of my new healthy "changes" and, who am i kidding, DIET. The goal: To look damn good in my bikini in Mexico (may) even if that means losing 55.5 lbs! Since then, there has rarely been a day that I don't get on that dumb thing. I've been trying to cut back a little here and there and I'm hoping to have 2 weekly weigh-ins, one on Tuesdays (which for whatever reason is usually when I tend to see the biggest drop) and Fridays. Best of luck to you on your journey, from another scale-a-holic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sooooooo agree with you. That scale, arrggh. My mother lost 60 lbs and only weighed herself just recently. YIKES, how did she actually do it without a scale - lol. Ummm, her clothes. Great post. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh,do I know about going back and forth on how often I weigh!!!! I must say my clothes still fit with my recent 11 pound gain (now 10 pounds), but I did notice I had more overhang on my pants. They are already starting to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes....I can totally relate. I would love to kick my scale to the curb, but unfortunately I have to agree with Clyde: the more I ignore it, the worse I get. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2.4 lbs lost sounds good to me! I did so well those first 21 days of January...and now I have put 3 of the 5 I lost back on already. I am tired of all this snow and being stuck inside. Uuughhh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait till I don't need the scale to KNOW that I'm doing things right !! And I CAN'T WAIT to wear jeans again :))

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!!