Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The REAL deal...

I'd rather eat real stuff than the skinny version of stuff.

For example, I hate fat free cheese. It just doesn't melt correctly.






I also don't like fat free sour cream on my Mexican food. Ugh.






And...fat free mayonnaise.





Some fat free salad dressings are just pitiful!











I'd rather not eat it, than eat the fat free version of some items. I just make sure I have enough points and only eat a little bit. All things in moderation, right? Or, find another healthy choice. I want my food to taste the way I like it. I'm learning to eat in moderation and enjoy smaller portions.


What about you? I'd love to hear from you...

J

(BTW, I just found those pictures...not picking on "certain brands"...)

12 comments:

  1. I agree! I find the "lite" stuff to tast much better than fat free. Although when I'm cooking and mixing things in...I can't tell the difference with the cream cheese and sour cream. But by itself...yuk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with ya! The fat-free salad dressings are the worst!! GAG! I don't like fat free cheese either. =( I do agree with Kerri from above, the "lite" stuff is sometimes ok. Like I prefer lite mayo over regular mayo.

    <3 Katie
    www.areyouwilling.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might find this post interesting: http://www.fatgirlwearingthin.com/2011/02/22/all-or-nothing/ I am fine with lower fat and sugar versions of most foods. Depends if I am eating them plain though or using in a recipe. Some I have just adjusted to the taste/texture over time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not usually a fan of the ff stuff either. I cut mayo out and started using avocado instead...that's yummy. I use cheese in moderation. I want to be able to eat food that I like. The whole point for me is make sustainable choices to my lifestyle and I don't want to use FF stuff the rest of my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a fan of FF products. I do like the light products though - except for cheese. Cheese is just one of those things I like full fat, but like you I just have to make sure it fits into the points plan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely agree that I'd rather eat the "real" thing for 99% of foods. (I have to admit I like diet Dr. Pepper over the regular - but neither one is really a "food" And fat-free Cool Whip also tastes okay...also not really a "food" - what the hewck is in that stuff, anyway?).

    Have you read "French Women Don't Get Fat"? - that book really sums it all up.

    When I'm not in binge-mode (when all bets are off for any sort of logic), having a smaller portion of the real thing is quite satisfying.

    Fat-free ranch dressing is really gross - the after-taste...eww.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have found that a lot of those fat frees n such are often loaded with SALT! ? Um, not a very nice trade off. This has also been my experience w/the low sugar items; I guess they think they are compensating for a flavor deficit ? by using more salt. Not a fan of sodium myself!

    I forget if you eat greek yogurt. If so, try a plain yogurt (Chobani, Fage, Oikos something like that..) in place of sour cream for mexican dishes, chili, etc. Even my sour cream loving dh does it! We rarely buy sour cream anymore.

    I'm with you on a real food item in moderation instead. I want to know what those ingredients are, not consume chemicals.

    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree!!! Greek yogurt replaces sour cream perfectly for me. I really can't tell the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you! Real foods rule and moderation is the key.

    A warning for avocado fans: this wonderful, healthy fruit now comes in a low-cal version called the "slimcado". Avoid it all costs. It's pumped full of water, has zip flavour and can't be mashed properly. I call it an abomination!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I rarely ever buy anything that is completely fat-free. I always do low-fat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with Deliciously Healthy - fat free tastes just like it's described - fat free! But I don't find that much of a difference in low-fat or skim products, so I try to stick to those.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have as big a problem with fat free, as I do sometimes with sugar free. Sugar free chocolate syrup (I have a glass of chocolate milk after my runs)...sugar free maple syrup....sugar free jelly?????

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!!