Saturday, January 1, 2011

A sign from the scale?

First off, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! I am very excited about 2011!!!! This is going to be a great year! I can feel it.

My scale was broken this morning. My husband couldn't fix it. We tried the battery, and everything else we could think of. Is this a sign??? :)

Do I focus too much on the number this "machine" tells me? Should I focus more on how my clothes fit? How I feel? Should I start with running and eating well? Then, weigh in a month or so?

I've been reading a few blogs of those who have lost like 100+ pounds. Needless to say, it is very impressive. There is one woman who has struck a chord with me. She started and for 21 days she exercised and ate REALLY well. It takes 21 days to start a *new* habit. I like that idea. We say that at my school during the first 21 days of the new school year. Sounds good to me.

I may leave the scale turned off for the first 21 days of 2011. What do you think of this?

I may not be able to stand it. I'm not sure.

I enjoyed my last Diet Coke yesterday....oh, my. I drank more water than I have in a long time.

I have run/walked for the past 3 days (over 3 miles each time). I got an early jump on that goal. I am loving it already.

My eating has been just okay...I am still in a bit of holiday mode. Our last "feast" is today. But, I know it will be back to routine on Monday so I am not worried.

I would love to hear your feedback on this...

What do you think of small changes for 21 days?
Not weighing for awhile?

Enjoy the first day of the NEW YEAR!!!

:) J

16 comments:

  1. I have read a lot of bloggers tell how well they do when they don't weigh daily. For many, that number can cause negative emotional impact. Either it goes up and causes emotional eating in response, or it goes down and causes eating in response as the dieter loosens up.

    For me, I am a daily weigher. Can't imagine going without.

    And... such timing - I am having a scale giveaway! Post coming later this week:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done this...I say go for it. The 21 day thing is very helpful. Try something new in the New Year, can't hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're off to a great start. I really like the idea of going scale-free for the first few weeks. Sometimes I think I obsess about it too much. Thanks for your comment on my blog - 2011, here we come! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea J! I'm going to do it...I will exercise and eat well...and weigh myself on Jan. 21st! I have been soda free now for 16 days. I am only drinking water. It was an all or nothing decision for me...I just can't handle having one or two diet mt. dews a day...that always leads me back to 7 or 8 a day. If I can give up soda...anyone can! It feels great! Sure I miss it once in awhile...but I've made up my mind and I'm sticking to it!

    PS. Definately a sign....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the challenge of 21 days scaleless! Besides, you can always buy a new one on day 22 if you feel its an important part of your program.

    You know me, what I *reeally* want to hear about is how was the process of going w/o the scales like internally, your self dialogue. Whadya learn ? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of ditching the scale for 21 days!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say go for it! Look at it like "It's only 21 days" and if you like it keep it going! Happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucy is right...it's just 21 days. After that, re-evaluate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's worth a shot, I think. If you can make progress without relying on the scale to tell you how you're doing-- if you can tell that you're doing well or badly by the fit of your clothes or your energy levels-- that's great! If not, that's OK too. A lot of us like to see those numbers on the scale (or the tape measure).

    Great job on your walking! It's such a great, completely natural exercise. I'm sure you can keep up the habit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not weighing for a while might be a good option.

    It can really go both ways. In the past, I had times where I'd get kind of obsessed with the scale. The number dictated my mood. I gave it up and lost another 50 pounds.

    Now, I'm working on using the scale just weekly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have interviewed so many successful maintainers over the last little while. Every single one of them had to give up their dependence on the scale, going by the fit of clothes. I am only going to weigh once a month until I fit into size 6 jeans. Then, I am at goal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the scale relationship is different for everyone. It can be a great way to track your weight, but there are many other ways to track as well - journaling food/exercise, calories, etc.

    It never hurts to try it and see if it works for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I weigh daily.... Not standing on it daily would be a real struggle for me. Fascinating how we have different vices. I enjoy a coke zero maybe once a week - it's not an issue drink for me so I don't have to think about 'giving it up', but I would definately find it hard not to weigh. I do like the idea of forming a habit tho and if you don't like weighing daily, it's definately a good thing to try and do. I remember setting myself a goal of just walking daily for a month. Finding the time for a 30min walk every day until it became a habit. It has now. Same type of concept.

    If I have to 'give up' a food, I'll think about it. So I tend to still have my chips, cookies, diet coke as appropriate and I don't seem to think about them now as much and hardly have them. I tend to drop a food if the calorie content is too high. I try and get more bang for my buck. Say cheese - I go with blue vein now cos it's half the calories and a small bit goes a long way. Regular cheese just kills my calorie budget. So that was easy to drop - it meant I could have 2 cookies instead ;) (so its made dropping foods fairly easy for me because I make a choice like, no pesto = 2 extra wines...) oooh and I like a wine ;)

    Btw, I know I'm like an old record, but I'm curious what you are doing to monitor the food intake - do you just eat 'clean'? and hope for the best or do you count calories? This is not meant to be asked in a negative way at all, just genuinely interested :D

    And I think half the world has had a bit of an over indulgence with food the last couple of weeks. It's unavoidable really huh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the idea of eating really well and working out for 21 straight days. I also think putting the scale away could do you some good. It looks like you're really looking to get away from the number and how you really feel. Good luck in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to weigh every day. I don't purchase clothes tight enough ~ so if I grow into them, then that could mean 5-10 pounds. I'm just not willing to chance that!

    I have been soda and fast food free for 1 year!! Can't believe it! I have found that I crave water now more than ever! Fast food - only one time last year I had to white knuckle it and resist the temptation and that was last week. Don't know what it is about Chirstmas and fast food for me. Anyway, I got through it and did not go to the drive thru!

    Keep focused!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am just catching up on your blog. First off, I'm glad you have Cindy! You two will do so well together!

    I think your smart to take it 21 days at a time. So smart!

    As far as the scale goes, I am a daily weigher. It probably stems from the fact that I did not ever weigh myself regularly before and I know where it got me. Weighing daily helps keep me in check from day to day. However, I think if a monthly weigh-in will work for you, do it! I know I will eventually need to wean myself from the thing.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!!