Sunday, January 16, 2011

Fartlek isn't a bad word

Fartleks! Who knew it was a real word? I guess you serious runners did. Newbies like me, not so much! For those of you just tuning in...fartleks are short bursts of speed until you slow down again. Thank you to those of you who left comments about this in my previous post! I never thought I'd be excited to learn about running, but I AM!

So...I've tried this in my past two sessions! I'm loving it, and I think it is helping. Of course, I have no idea what I'm doing so I am totally winging it. If anyone knows the right or wrong way to fartlek, please let me know immediately. I may look up some workout plans online or get some from friends.

AND, I'm sorry...but the word totally cracks me up! Who named it that? and why? (Just kidding, I looked it up. It means "speed play" in Swedish, and a Swedish coach first used it as a type of exercise. You learn something new everyday!)

Ok, back to seriousness.  Here's how my runs go. I do a warm-up lap for 1/4 mile. I get faster walking on that as I go. Then, on the second 1/4, I jog at my comfy speed. The on the third quarter 1/4 mile, I fartlek (see, it's funny). I keep alternating as long as I can. After mile 2, I couldn't fartlek a whole 1/4 mile at top speed so I would make deals with myself in time. (I'm doing this on a treadmill.) What do you think of this? I really want to know.

Now, for my Weight Watchers update. I am really digging this. I always thought I would HATE this whole points thing. Nope.  I Love it. Who knew? I was eating way more than I should've been those first 15 days of dieting...woops! I've gotta feeling that this may work for me. :) Woot Woot!

Thanks for all your helpful feedback.

You guys are awesome!
J

6 comments:

  1. I learned this word a few years ago, when I started working for "The Running Room"...I had to learn it for a "Learn To Run" clinic. Now sure where you are from but if you are living in Canada, I highly recommend you attend this clinic. Anyway, congrats on learning to fartlek...I assumed you knew what it was or else I would have mentioned it in my "feedback/advice" last time :P I assumed because you could already run a good length w/o stopping...fartleking is mainly used to increase your endurance...basically to condition your body to running...and I thought you could run...but if you want to increase your speed, fartleking will definitely help your body get use to running w/o having to walk! :)

    Well happy fartleking friend !! Catch ya later

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fartleks too! They make a huge difference and we've all read that interval training burns more calories.

    The MOST helpful book I ever read was "The Complete Book of Running for Women", by Claire Kolaski. (I have the last name wrong, but it's close) It's an easy read, an inspiring read and you will want to run after reading it.

    I would caution you not to get too caught up in the "right"way to train. What is your purpose in running? If it's to run marathons and win, then by all means, get caught up in how to's. If your goal is to find a fitness activity you enjoy and to burn calories, then vary your running and enjoy it! I burn more calories on long runs, so I like to include at least 2 longer runs per week. (8-12K) After a long run, I will often run a fast 3K the next day, as a recovery run. I would caution you against making it so complicated that you don't want to do it. Do what feels right and enjoy it!

    I really, really recommend the book I mentioned. It gives a variety of suggested running work outs based on your goals. Every person I've recommended to has enjoyed it throughly.

    Happy farting...I mean...fartleking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great you are loving the Weight Watches points. I swear the secret to success has part of it attributed to finding something, a program, a way, a system THAT YOU ENJOY and that keeps you within a daily limit so weight loss occurs (points, calories etc). Just 'eating healthy and winging it' just doesn't work most of the time! I'm so pleased for you. The weight is going to DRIP off you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am proud of you J! I have enjoyed the new program as well. I have been "winging it" and I need to get serious about it if I want serious results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you. You are going to progress fast, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of this wrod! hahaha! Cracks me up too. J, I am so excited for you. You are doing AWESOME!
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!!