Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Skinny Sisters

Well...
I think I might be too good of a salesperson for Weight Watchers. I was talking about how much *fun* I am having with WW with my sisters. Who-are-skinny! They decided they liked what I was saying SO much, that they wanted to join.

ummm....

did you see what I said about the skinny part???

I'm not sure what to think about this.

Weight loss has always been MY thing. Sounds silly, I know.

Here's the deal.

Sister A is beautiful and she just had a baby. She only has 15 pounds to lose to get back into her size 4 pants. Now, don't get me wrong. I know those pounds are important to her. I support her in losing them. Totally, completely. It is important to get back into your pre-baby clothes. I understand she can't afford a whole new wardrobe. I know she wants to weigh her "old" weight. I'm cheering for her. I promise. But, she is consumed with having at least 12 points left over at the end of the day... this bothers me for some odd reason. She's nursing---she needs to eat!

Sister B...is like a model. Not lying here. She is beautiful. Tall. Skinny. Long, flowing, perfect hair. The package. Men break their necks to get a look at her wherever we go. It is amusing. She is fit and thin. Runs 6 miles a day. What the heck is she doing WW for???? She's obsessed with the apps on her phone even tho she has trouble staying under her points. She works out so much she HAS to eat. I'm not sure if she is aiming for a size 0 or what...I guess this bothers me b/c I want her to know how wonderful she is NOW.

I'm just trying to think of it as a team. We're all supporting one another. We are backing each other up.

I WILL NOT COMPARE MYSELF TO THEM.
I WILL NOT COMPARE MYSELF TO THEM.
I WILL NOT COMPARE MYSELF TO THEM.

Can you remind me of this if I need to be told this 100,000 times???

Maybe I should go work for WW. If I can sell this program to two ladies who wear smaller than a size 6...I should be able to sell it to anyone! AND, I wasn't even trying to get them to join! A-MA-ZING!

I'm not sure what the purpose of this post is. A little venting...rambling. A little frustration that women are seldom happy with themselves even when they appear to be "just right." (I know that is MY opinion.) Maybe I am jealous that they are already the size I wish to be? Maybe I am worried I won't ever be satisfied with me? (Lord, I pray not.)

Anyway...thanks for reading.

No matter what, it will be nice to share recipes low in points, right?

Don't forget to eat fruits and vegetables!
J

8 comments:

  1. Such a shame...being fit and healthy is one thing...but joining WW when you really don't need to. I would think it would upset some of the heavier women. Sometimes I get offended when my super skinny friend who never eats, exercises twice a day and still says that she's fat in my presence. She ways 120 and just NEEDS to get down to 105. Sometimes I think she does it for attention and it makes me not want to be around her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just goes to show that weight is often a metphor for other "stuff" going on in people's lives. Their weights are already perfect (or close to it). It sounds like there's other things they'd like to change about themselves (how they feel about themselves), but can't or don't know how, so they focus on weight.

    The extra baby weight I "get", but sister B sounds like she has a lot tied into her appearance while feeling very insecure.

    Put on your blinders and block out what they're doing - focus on you, baby! (And if you don't want to talk about WW/how you're doing/what they're doing with them, just change the topic as quickly as you can. It doesn't sound like it would be a conversation of mutual understanding.)

    Okay, now I feel irritated by them...sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I had all kinds of negative comments written, but deleted them. I can totally imagine how frustrated you are with them.

    Are they going to meetings? Used to be you had to be ten pounds over the highest healthy weight to qualify for WW.

    People have told me that it's just as hard being 10-20 pounds overweight as it is being 100 pounds overweight. I have a hard time believing that's true, but then again I've never just been so little overweight.

    Keep up your good work. Maybe this will open their eyes to what you're dealing with and make them more sympathetic?

    Hang in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is an award for you on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post. Just remember that this IS YOUR thing. Regardless of what they are doing...its your life and your results!!! You are doing great!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, focus on YOU. I don't think I could see them as my rah rah team, and probably would not want to discuss this topic with them. BUT, you are having fun counting your oh so valuable points, so maybe it isn't as hard for you to talk WW or WL with sisters as I feel it would be.

    You don't gush over either one, do you? As in, "Oh B, you look fantastic, I would LOVE to be your STARTING size, why are you working on your weight..", etc. I would suggest not allowing yourself to say what you are thinking! Some ppl just want that attention. I don't think that is the case here though.

    Keep up the good work!
    ps-could A or B be a running partner for you? I guess not A, with newborn.
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! I am visiting from Kerri's blog. I have really enjoyed reading your blog tonight. I know exactly how you feel. My sister and I are both 5 feet, 9 inches tall. She is very thin. I........am not. She talks about needing to loose weight sometimes. I quickly remind her that it is illegal in GA to talk about needing to loose weight or being fat in front of someone who is bigger than you. :). She reminds me that just because she is thin doesn't mean that she is toned and healthy. That stinker. I just joined WW online. I have had great success with it in the past. Congrats to you for loosing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have 3 sisters. Sister S is genetically taller than me and slimmer. She doesn't exercise, eats moderately (enjoys treats) and runs around after 4 kids. She could do with exercising for 'fitness and health' reasons. I like her because you don't hear her complain - she views her body in accurate perception. Sister M is like me. Hordes fat (when pregnant). Is short in stature and has to work at being thin. Her youngest is now 9 and she has reached a happy low weight where she can enjoy the odd treat but constantly has to work at not allowing herself to balloon up. She doesn't bother me because she is me, (or I will be her) once I reach goal.

    But sister A has body dismorphia (sp?) I think. Tall. Slim. Blonde. Tan. A size 3/4. Wearing pants that would barely scrape over my ankles yanno! Asks if she looks fat, constantly bemoaning her weight, seeking confirmation/praise. It annoys me. I don't bite. I don't give it. Surely one cannot THINK that when one looks in the mirror? I don't think she deep down thinks she has a weight issue or she wouldn't wear the clothes she wears. If you wear short shorts and bikinis, I think deep down you feel ok. The rest is attention. But anyway, if I was you... I think truthfully I'd feel a little miffed/annoyed that my sisters were joining. But I'd not say anything and just muse at how long they last (which won't be long)... lol. When you're thin, you make lots of allowances for things. Like wine... and chocolate... and lots of 'starting again tomorrows'...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!!