Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I miss the FIZZ....

This is awful to admit!! But I think I was in LOVE with Diet Coke. I think I have broken up with DC. I think. I have been 4 days without DC. I think I am past the hard part. Oh, but I miss my beloved. ;)

I miss the fizz.....

I miss the taste. It was the perfect taste. Right after college, I decided to cut out *regular* Coke. I hated the taste of Diet Coke. So, I switched to Diet Mountain Dew. I could deal with that drink...it didn't taste so diety to me. After a couple months, I tried the Diet Coke. I liked it. The love affair/ addiction began. I felt like I could drink as many as I wanted. No calories. No guilt.

I went through periods where I would drink a glass of water for every DC consumed, but it never lasted.

Diet Coke goes perfectly with all kinds of great food. Mexican food, pizza, chips, even sweets such as fudge, peanut butter cookies....hmmm...maybe I see a pattern here.

There is a cheerleading coach at my school that makes girls like me green with envy (not really but a little...ha). She is about 50 years old, and has the body of a 20 year old. She is tiny in height and weight, she bounces when she walks, truly! She has lean muscles. Two years ago, I dropped 30 pounds (yes, and gained it back) but she came up to me to congratulate me. She said that I only needed to add strength training and kick my Diet Coke habit. She said Diet Coke causes belly fat. I just laughed quietly  and told her thanks for her advice.

I was pretty sure the DC wasn't causing my fat. I felt like my eating was. However, these days without it have me thinking. I sure related some good foods to drinking it. So maybe in a round about way, it was causing my fat.

Heck, I am dedicating an entire post to how much I miss it. I was addicted.  I guess I still am. I am fighting the addiction. But I am going to become a water addict. My skin will glow. I am flushing out toxins or whatever they say. I hope I don't cave (I was tempted yesterday...my MIL had a Diet Coke in her fridge that was open...and I thought...just one little sip won't hurt. BUT, I didn't do it!)


Goodbye Diet Coke, HELLO WATER!

H2Oing,
J

9 comments:

  1. Love this post...I hope your break up is final :) Water will love you in way DC never even thought about :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Personally, I think nothing good can come from Diet Coke. H2O may not seem as "sexy" at first, but it is a much healthier relationship. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!! Yeah, I could have written the love affair post...I always got caffeine free, too, so y'know, even better!

    I know I've written to you before on this close to home topic, so forgive, but I only mean it as encouragement from one 'addict' to another. =)

    I read about soda pop inhibiting one's WL efforts, & I felt like I was doing all of this 'other' to lose weight, but hadn't given up my (caffeine free) DC. I don't want an inhibitor..none of us does. I also was aware that it was not healthy, and I am on a WL, fitness & health journey. It doesn't fit in. ha

    So, yeah, it wasn't easy, but does get easier. I prob gave you this tidbit before, but when you are tempted, think about that # you have already achieved. Day 5. FIVE! Sounds so good! Who wants to start over, ya know? That helped me. I want to be able to say "I had my last soda in ___" (insert year!) I don't even have a blog! You can brag to all of us!

    Now after the amount of time I have been "clean", haha, it also helps knowing if I did have a sip, it would most likely taste weirdo.

    Get yourself a water bottle/cup you like. I have one of those aladdin's with a straw (well, more than 1..) and add a slice of lemon & take it with me everywhere. =) Yep, my coworkers kinda poke fun (with affection) but I'm good. For variety I drink black coffee and plain flavored hot teas sometimes.

    So excited for you and so proud. Go you!! Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! I have been without diet Dr. Pepper for over 4 months!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go J! That's fabulous. 4 days is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for you J! I miss it too. I just did a soda update this morning...too funny! I think you and I could sit down and have a soda conversation for a couple of hours, for sure!
    When I read your belly fat statement you heard...I think that's true. After just 4 or 5 days without soda...I noticed my stomach was flatter. (well, not flatter like skinny...but you know what I mean!) It's amazing. Although I too miss the FIZZ...but my mind is made up. I want to write down a list of positive things about not drinking soda and post if on the fridge to remind myself to never go back!
    Way to go J....I know exactly how hard this is to beat! Proud of ya my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay. I just have to tell you that it will be hard for a while then one day you'll realize you haven't even considered it in a while.

    Until April of 2009, I was a Dr. Pepper addict. I couldn't imagine eating chinese food without it..or mexican or any really. I craved it..

    I started my weight-loss journey knowing that I couldn't continue to be a slave to Dr. Pepper (and soda in genral) so I quit cold turkey.

    Just to be clear, I am a firm believer that everything is okay in moderation, but I couldn't be moderate with soda. I was out of control.

    For days I thought "okay..I'll drink one next week if I still want it." I decided in mid-April that I would drink one on my birthday in early July. Guess what..when that day came I didn't want it!

    I felt so light, so pure..so healthy..and I can honestly tell you that if you put a Dr. Pepper in front of me and a bottle of water and the calories counted as nothing for both, I'd take the water.

    After a few months I stopped thinking about soda..And after a year and a half I'm not afraid of it. I was on a date with a guy recently who made us ice cream floats, and I panicked only to realize that I really have no time for sodas anymore.

    I'm writing this epic post because I need you to know that it will not always control you..your thoughts..your desires...the way it does today.

    Stay strong my friend..!

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS After a few weeks I noticed that I didn't feel bloated. For the longest time I didn't even realize that bloated was my norm. It's seriously awesome..okay, I'm done. Ha..

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are funny J! I didn't wear a bikini in my 20's or 30's....can't imagine now that I'm 40...wearing a bikini! It would truly take a miracle...who knows! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!!