I've always been an "old soul." I'm not exactly sure when that started, but I think it was around the time I was injured. I was 10 at the time of my accident. In the hospital for a few months. Had to start 5th grade in a wheel chair. That was the pits.
The following year, my family moved to a larger city so that I could be closer to big hospitals with good doctors who could "fix" my leg. I just wanted to be a normal kid that could walk. When you almost die at 10, you aren't really 10 anymore. You grow up fast. I had surgery every summer, every Christmas break, many spring breaks, and other times every year until I was 18. That's a lot of surgeries. Too many to keep track of. Lots of crutches. Lots of ace bandages. Lots of special treatment (that I did not want) at school. I hated to have attention on me. I didn't get to play sports, ride a bike, etc like my friends. It's a miracle that my mom ever let me out of her sight.
I remember taking part in my friends' discussions, but inside I always thought it was so silly. I always felt so OLD. I knew about things that kids shouldn't. Don't get me wrong. If you visit a children's hospital, you know that there is always someone worse off than you. I knew I was fortunate. I knew God has saved me, and I was blessed with opportunites. But, it doesn't change the fact that it was tough.
I was told I'd lose my leg. I didn't.
I was told I may never walk again. I do.
I was told I could forget running. I do.
I was told I wouldn't hop, skip, etc. I do.
I am a miracle, really. God helped me prove those people wrong. There is very little wrong with my leg. It gives me a few problems now and then but with 1/3 of my calf-muscle and some scars, I do pretty well considering.
I'm not really sure why I'm writing about this. It may or may not relate to my weight. I have a few theories on that. I wasn't ever overweight as a child, but the fast food "fix" definitely started with so many hospital visits. The periods of being inactive for SO LONG didn't help me either, I'm sure. I got so much attention for something that I wouldn't wish on anyone. Maybe the emotional eating started here...???
This was just on my mind tonight. Thanks for listening.
J
First may I address your fans, J? I hope it isn't too fwd of me, but readers, she didn't say what happened. In an early blog post she mentioned that she is still wishing to be 'under the radar', incognito, just "J", & that her accident was a much publicized incident. Therefore she is unable to share details and remain anonymous. I am well aware that J can say this for herself, but just didn't want everyone to be sayin' "what happened?" bc that isn't the point. Love to all.
ReplyDeleteI can imagine a child of 10 years might be very uncomfy with 'special treatment'.
Yes, you DO have a lot to be thankful for, as do we all.
Chrissy
What an inspiring post!
ReplyDeleteYou are blessed.
ReplyDeleteWanted to come and tell you that the friend I mentioned under "Brutal Honesty" talked to me about doing something about her weight the other day. She is coming to visit in April and we talked about going walking every day. I thought of you and how maybe I won't have to be brutally honest, but maybe I can encourage her to take care of her weight. Here's hoping your friend comes to talk to you about it again soon too. :)
You are a miracle!
ReplyDeleteI've had you on my heart a lot over the past few weeks. So proud of you!
ReplyDelete"...and they will be my people."
You ARE truly a miracle and have come out on top. You are trying to live your best life...and it's very inspiring to the rest of us. I never could really put it into words...but reading your post, I realize I am/was an old soul too. I had 11 ear surgeries before the age of 12...and often felt that I missed out some on just being a kid. I didn't like the extra attention at school (having to sit closer to the teacher so I could hear).
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine what starting school in the 5th grade in a wheelchair was like for you. My handicap was not always visible...but I always felt different.
Thanks for sharing your story.
My friend still hasn't sent me her treadmill workout yet. I've asked twice now...what the heck?! Sorry!
You are truly an inspiration! :-) You've endured a lot and come out stronger for it.. don't lose sight of your goals, your going to make it, whatever you set your mind to! ;-)
ReplyDeleteblessings,
Jill