My friend Cindy weighed. EVEN though we promised each other we wouldn't weigh until January 21. Actually she made ME promise and then we made a pact. She has broken the pact, and my scale is still broken.
Cindy has lost 5 pounds while I am still trying to decide if I am going to wait it out.
I am dying to know if what I am doing is working.
Here's the revelation. WHY do I need the scale to tell me what I am doing is working???
Here's what I know.
- I feel better than I have in a LONG time. I am so motivated. I am on "my path...the journey for me."
- I am Diet Coke free. How can that be wrong? I am water-logged!
- I am eating healthy foods. Whole grain, spinach, fruits, veggies, turkey, etc, etc, etc.
- I am exercising daily!!!! My muscles will vouch for me.
- My clothes are fitting well. Some are even a little baggy.
- My husband says he can tell a difference even though it has only been 13 days. The other night he said my skin was glowing. Awww...he's a sweetie.
- Someone at church (who has NO IDEA what I've been doing) asked me if I had lost weight.
- I am feeling successful.
Why do I need a scale? What if I got on it and I haven't lost? Would I get frustrated and quit? I'm not sure I could handle it...honestly. Maybe I'll just stick with my plan and wait until the 21st. Maybe the broken scale was the best thing for me. Maybe I need that amount of time to develop good habits/new habits. And, that time will allow me to feel secure in my new self rather than be so dependent on the number that I see.
I haven't told anyone besides my husband and Cindy that I am on this journey AGAIN. I just didn't want to see the look in their eyes...you know, them thinking that here I go again. Success/Failure/Success/Failure. I don't want anyone waiting to see how long it takes me to quit again. I just want them to discover my success.
This journey is mine.
Who needs the scale?
J
PS---Just so you know...I'm not totally giving up the scale! I will have to check in with the naughty device eventually! :) I'm curious like that.
Blessing in disguise that the scale is broken! And when you do finally check in it'll be great, I'm sure! Going without the scale can be liberating and helpful especially at "first". Keep going strong and weigh when you had initially intended :)
ReplyDeleteI think this is awesome! I hope someone reads this and realizes that we can never control the scale, only our own actions. So to focus on that darn number is just asking to be disappointed in some way. Kudos.
ReplyDeleteWell, I don't think of it as "you being on this journey AGAIN". You are goin for a lifestyle aren't you? That healthy lifestyle is a bit o' work and commitment, hence some 'fits and starts' along the way. (or as you put it, "success/failure/success/failure") but I think you should not look at bumps in the road on your path to healthy living that way. :)
ReplyDeleteYou sound like you are doing great! I'm so proud!
Chrissy
I TOTALLY understand your reasons for wanting to keep your journey private for now. I have often felt like people are watching to see me regain the weight back again.
ReplyDeleteI like what Chrissy said...it's not success/fail, but all part of the life time journey.
I think the broken scale was definately a sign!! The scale can be a huge disappointment (although I don't think it will be for you this time) and minimize the work we've been doing. You look great, you feel great and your attitude is right on!
ReplyDeleteMy husband is taking the day off from work in Feb. on my birthday so we can go clothes shopping. (I rarely buy clothes!)...so I'm really motivated to feel good for next month so I can try on a few things! Even just getting a new shirt can feel good.
Very proud of you J!
Amen sister! You're doing great without it!
ReplyDeleteWell done on sticking to your guns...well being 'scale free' too!
ReplyDeleteI am driven by the scales, they taunt me every minute of the day. That is just sad.
A scale can sometimes encourage you to keep going if you ARE doing everything you think you should be to lose weight...or it can make you depressed if you plateau for weeks and STILL are doing everything right...or sometimes it can warn you that something's is wrong, gaining even though YOU KNOW you ARE doing everything right!
ReplyDeleteI thought like you at one point and ended up losing focus, stopped doing everything right, and gained all the hard weight I had lost BACK...and now I make sure my scale WORKS because I SURE don't want to go THERE again...I still don't like how I look now.
Stick with your original goal. Wait until the 21st. The scale breaking is a sign. Be strong. You'll feel extra good about yourself for sticking with the plan. Add that on top of feeling good for doing so well with the fizzy and veggies. You'll be on cloud 9!
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean when you talk about wanting to keep your plan to yourself. It seems like when I tell others, I end up giving up easier and quicker than I do when I tell no one. Making it something just for you and no one else is therapeutic.
Don't do it. Wait. You'll be glad you did.
ReplyDeleteJust stick to what is working for you :)
ReplyDelete