I'm trying to become a runner. I'm enjoying the process...truly I am. I can run almost the entire 3 miles now. Yay!
But here's my question...
Should I be working on upping my speed or shoot for a longer distance?
I can go longer if I run slower. If I up my speed, I can't run as long. I have to start walking. Which is more important?
I usually exercise 45-60 minutes. I take one day off a week. I try to do one intense day followed by a lighter day. I have no idea if this is good or not. Hey, at least it is exercise.
I want your opinions...Let me hear from you! :)
Oh, I almost forgot to tell you. I joined Weight Watchers. I am so excited about it!!!! I will be giving you updates. :) You get a deal right now if you want to join, too!
Still in my groove,
J

Awesome job on the running! I have no advice, sorry. I went to a WW meeting last week to check out the new program. I did it many, many years ago. Not sure I can do the whole points counting thing again:(
ReplyDeleteI'm in the same boat as you. I just hit my first 5k on the treadmill...now I don't know if I should work on speed or more distance. Sorry I'm not helpful. I'll be looking for answers, too!
ReplyDeleteAs you stretch out your distance your speed will improve on your shorter runs. Also, you can try doing fartleks a couple days a week to improve speed (fartleks are short bursts of "speed" before slowing down again). Pick a street light or the next corner and go hard then back off to your reg pace. Speed comes with time and conditioning. Congrats on your progress to this point. Hope that helps a bit. I'm no expert though :) Can't wait till I can start running again...
ReplyDeleteJ you are doing awesome...6 days a week...you go girl!! You're gonna be smokin' hot by the time summer gets here!
ReplyDeleteThe fartleks, (hee hee)I never knew that's what it was called...is really great for burning fat. A friend of mine started a 30 mins. treadmill workout 2 weeks ago and has lost 9 lbs. already. I really need to get a copy of that from her! I feel like I get a better workout if I run longer...b/c when I run fast, I just can't go as long. That didn't answer your question at all, did it!
I would vary what you are doing - that is, aim for some faster tempo runs in the week, but also have a couple of slower, long distance runs. It's all so exciting!!!!
ReplyDeleteIf your goal is to lose weight FAST, speed is best but you have to be careful you don't injure yourself in the process. (You WILL injure yourself if you heart is beating faster than your target bpm)
ReplyDeleteIf your goal is to not lose weight quickly then as long as you hit your burning calories bpm, all is good.
As for how many days a week...my Doctor told me 5 days of running would be awesome!
That's a lot of work...Good for you. I am just starting to be a runner as well, so I have no good advice for you, other than you should keep going!
ReplyDeleteOkay...I came to read the articles and glean from the advice...um, should I post on my blog and see if we get more help?? LOL
ReplyDeleteActually, I now get Runners World magazine and when I searched "speed versus distance" on their website a slew of helpful articles came up. Maybe you'll find more help there.
I try and run three days a week and at least one of those I've started doing intervals of 2 mins fast/2 mins regular speed.
Keep up the good work!
I meant...read the comments... oops. :P
ReplyDeleteand here's a link to one of those Runner's World articles: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7124,s6-238-267--5521-0,00.html