Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sledgehammers

I will admit that I've had second thoughts about my goal... 50 pounds in 6 months, whew, that's big. A little more than 8 pounds per month. Probably a little easier at the beginning than at the end if the past is any indicator. I've gone back and forth on increasing my time limit to a year. I'm just not sure.

My wise friend Jae (that I mentioned in my last post) left a comment that hit me over the head. She said ...

"I've come to know myself well enough that goals and eats are sledgehammers I automatically pick up to bash myself with."
Oh. My. Word. That is me. I self-sabotage any time I have a goal and of course I do it with food!



But, I haven't given up today. Tempted? yes. Done it? No!!!! :) Yeah, me!

I didn't list all of my water that I consume...it's at least 64 ounces. That's tough teaching, but I'm trying. I am really trying to cut out Diet Coke...some days are better than others. But, hey! I can't do it all at once.

My menu today:
Breakfast:
Banana, yogurt

Snacks:
grapes (morning)
granola bar (afternoon)

Lunch: salad w/ lowfat ranch, steamed zucchini, and chicken pot pie (this could have been really bad...not sure b/c it was in cafeteria, but it was a yellow dot. Our chef codes the dishes: red dots mean eat very little, yellow dots eat in moderation, green dots mean eat all you want ---fruits, veggies, etc.).

Dinner: salad with rotisserie chicken (lettuce, cheese, olives, cranberries, raisins, lowfat ranch)

Lots of water, and 2 diet cokes all day

No exercise....oops! Unless you count walking around the grocery store...

Hang in there!
J

8 comments:

  1. Wow. That's a really interesting metaphor. Goals can be helpful and they can be hindering, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...that's an interesting quote. I need to think on that, lol. I tend to be very motivated by goals but I rarely accomplish them on the first try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day at a time...today was a GOOD day for you! Good job! I been trying so hard to have only 2 diet mt. dews a day...started this last Monday and had 2 everyday last week except Monday I had 3 (headache) and then this week fine....today 5 diet mt dews....not sure what happened!! UUUghhhh! I need to drink way more water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great point about the sledgehammer. Very insightful. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deadlines are my sledge hammer...

    You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad the sledgehammer observations might have helped. I have to remind myself that I lived (grew up) in the Land of Sledgehammers. Married a guy who carried one in ea. hand. Sledgehammers were normal for me. So I continued the pattern where my folks and exJerk left off. No mas!

    But its also a balance of pushing when I know I need to get my eats lined up as well as getting in the exercise.

    I'm at a place where I have to remind myself (daily..sometimes hour to hour) that its about balance, realistic expectations, consistancy, and committment.

    Big tight hugs to ya, J.
    Be nice to you today :)
    Jae

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! I just found your blog. I'm overcoming an ankle injury and move that has resulted in a MAJOR setback in my quest to be healthy and fit. I'm back on track and looking for inspiration from those in a similar boat. I can't wait to read more about you. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you had a good day! Just keep building on it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!!