Saturday, August 14, 2010

Peer Pressure

Can I just tell you how worn out I am!!!!  I've been back at work 3 weeks (2 with kids) and I am tired! I've worked 14 hour days this week...and still come home to being mom and wife! I know...we all do. Just venting. My feet hurt too...maybe if they weren't holding up all of this weight, it'd be better right?

Anyway...peer pressure-
I have confessed my attempt to lose weight to 4 co-workers who have been successful. Of course, they are all so happy with their results and want to share the joy! They want to bring me onto their "side." I've been tempted...let me confess. I'm struggling for sure. My brain is fighting me. It is telling me you can do this on your own. Be consistent, show moderation, and be healthy! I know what I need to do. It's just the doing it that's getting me. I have good days of eating and no exercise. Or, exercised with slip ups in eating. You know the drill.

So, let me tell you what they did to lose weight.

 Well, the two co-workers who are the most energetic and outspoken (and really trying to convince me to go their way) have lost the most weight. They go to the "Diet Doctor." Yes, I know. Diet pills, monthly weigh ins, etc. One of them even gets shots...what is in those??? They want me to join them for two reasons, I think.
1. They want me to feel as good (thin) as they do.
2. They want the referral money off their next visit! :)

Now, before you lecture me (but you can), I know these dangers and pitfalls. I was only tempted b/c it seemed like their journies were so fast. And they look so good.

The next woman has lost a lot of weight on Jenny Craig. She is almost to her goal. I don't know very much about this program except you buy their food...any opinions out there?

The last co-worker is on Weight Watchers. She's about halfway to her goal. It's about 50 bucks a month. I just don't know if I'm up for counting points and all that. Any ideas?

I really wanted to do it this time "on my own"....eating right and exercising. I keep telling myself- Just Do It. Get Your Mind Right. I'm letting things get in my way. (Like the opposite peer pressure to eat Brownies with my grade level at our meeting...it's like they can't eat without me). Excuses, I realize this.

Trying,
J

10 comments:

  1. You may not like my answer but it seems to me that you are losing all by yourself. Yes, slowly. And we all want it to go faster! But it has been shown time and time again that losing slowly is more likely to result in lasting loss. As a yo-yo dieter, I think whatever method you can sustain long-term as a lifestyle is the way to go. Anything else might just be a quick fix that doesn't hold up once you stop whatever it is.

    Those doctors sound too scary. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you're doing so well on your own...
    Ya, my vote is to keep doing what you're doing. It might not seem to be coming off as quickly but it IS free and, probably, more permanent.
    Rae
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This isn't a quick fix, it's a lifestyle. Stick to it, you'll get there, and you'll keep it off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are doing great on your own! You can do it!!When you hit your goal weight, which you will ... you can tell someone else "I did it myself". That makes it all worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes, the pills and the shots....I would keep my distance a bit..I hope they don't try to preach at you and reel you in and so forth.

    I hope you can find someone at work with similar goals and a similar plan. Maybe even a lunchtime walking buddy. Someone you can discuss what you are eating, exercises, etc.

    But yeah, you can do this, you ARE doing this, and some of those success stories you listed do NOT seem like an option. I'm sure WW would be fine, counting points instead of calories, but I guess that one doesn't even interest you. (are you counting calories? I forget.)

    I think we need to be careful about comparing ourselves, ya know? And we also need to remember to look straight ahead at our own goal and plan and the path we laid out to get there, instead of that person's gastric bypass results, that other person seems to be getting there so fast, oh look what THEY get to eat, etc. Not easy, I know. I am talking to MYSELF here too...Best, Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Slow and steady wins the race.

    The pills and shots sound great, but is that something you want to do for your lifetime.

    I've heard great things from Jenny Craig, but again, is it sustainable for life for you? It might be a good idea just to jumpstart your journey, and I've heard someone used NutriSystem in that way. It allowed her to not think and just lose weight while they made the food for her. I could see trying this.

    I personally love Weight Watchers because it's balance, allows for special occasions once in a while. However, as you said, you have to invest some time into counting points.

    Aha! This was my AHA... time. What you're doing now and what you choose to continue doing is going to require some time. You are doing well, even if it's slower than you think.

    Maybe you can let the ladies know you're going to keep doing what you're doing and thank them for supporting you along your journey.

    Whatever you choose, it's your life and only you can decide what you choice you want to live with.

    We are here to support you no matter what. Hang in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are doing well! You should stick with what is working for you now! Slow and steady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stay the course! You are doing awesome! Just keep on keeping on! We can encourage each other! Shots? I don't think so!
    Thank you so much for your comment on my blog.
    Have a pretty day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to tell you again how much your comments on my blog about me thinking of not blogging anymore. It meant so much to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your comment tonight! Sadly for me there was some truth to the comment. But, It's in the past and I am moving forward full speed ahead!
    THANK YOU!
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!!