Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Do You Respect Your Body?

I think I've told you before that my sister-in-law gives me a subscription to Fitness Magazine every year. The November/December issue has a little box on  page 130 that says...

"Do You Respect Your Body?
You may not have an eating disorder, but if you answer yes to any of the questions below, your body image could use an upgrade.
  • Do you feel guilty after eating foods that are high in fat?
  • Do you panic if you gain a few pounds?
  • Do you have trouble accepting compliments on your body?
  • Do you weigh yourself more than once a week?
  • Do you talk negatively about your body?"
Ummm...okay. My answers...
  • Yes
  • Yes
  • Yes
  • Yes
  • Yes
I think I could use an upgrade. I'm trying to upgrade the body. But, how hard am I working on the image??? I'm not sure. I stand in the mirror on some mornings (okay...every morning) and try to see change. I think to myself that 20 pounds will be my magic number. That BIG change will take place. I know, I know. It is hard to *see* weight loss on yourself, a little bit like watching paint dry.

I think my waist is smaller, maybe my "chest" is smaller. I could sorta see a slight difference in my cheeks...not too sure. But that's it.  BUT, trust me...I can give you a list as long as my leg of the things that are still WRONG with my body. So, could I use a body image upgrade? Sure, yes!!!!

I've read and reread parts of the book So Long, Insecurity by Beth Moore (it's fabulous) and I know what I should do. Doing it is the hard part.

I want to love me as I am. But I just don't love my body. I love me as a wife, mother, teacher, friend, daughter, sister, but I really don't like my body.

Any tips for me in that department? Or is it just a work in progress? I really thought at 35 I'd be better at this!

Don't get wrong. I am thankful that I am healthy. My body works. I just don't like the jiggly parts. I know I can make this "shell" better. I want to do that.

Does anyone understand this?

Talk to you later,

J

Oh, and I forgot to weigh in yesterday. I remembered last night while I was in the shower. I just care about my mental healthy too much to weigh in at night. Then, I forgot this morning. I have already eaten breakfast. So, I will try to remember tomorrow!!! Sorry Jess!

6 comments:

  1. I totally understand this and I just try to remind myself everyday that it is JUST A SHELL. It's okay for me to want to change it and want it to look different, but it's not okay for me to prioritize it over the important inside stuff! And if you keep at it, before you know it the shell WILL look different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too answered "yes" to each one.
    I guess the important thing is to be healthy in your body. I wish I spent as much time and energy working/worrying on other things as I do my body appearance. I'm just super thankful that we all get to wear clothes to cover ourselves up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get that magazine but am way behind in my reading. I am not sure I ever appreciate my body... regardless of how thin or overweight I am. Maybe I just take my body for granted - that it will do what I need it to do. I sure don't love it. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just realized that my body intimidates me. hmmm...interesting. A difficult thing for me is attention. Any attention that I get from a physical nature. "You look good in that dress", "you've lost weight", "you look amazing", "I love your new haircut" all those type things panic me. I hate people looking at me.

    I can remember when I turned 13 and had big boobs, small waist (the last time it was small, btw). I was a freshman in HS and the seniors used to be really nice to me. My BFF told me her brother wanted to date me, and that the guys at school were asking her about me. OMG! I was petrified! For some reason it felt like 50 yo men were gawking at me. I think that was the beginning of hating and being intimidated by my body. So I piled on the weight to be invisible...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! first, thanks for all your sweet comments on my blog. I always appreciate them :)

    Second, I answered yes to almost all those questions too. For me, what helps me out of my "funk" is feeling like I am helping myself. As long as I can have pride in that I am good to go, even when the weight isnt cooperative. I think you just sparked a thought for my next blog post....

    Jennifer
    http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great post. I also answered 'yes' to most of those questions. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!
    Rae
    xo

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!!