I am a perfectionist. That is...in all things, but my weight. Please believe me, I am not perfect. But I feel good about my job as a wife, mother, and teacher. Even good about my relationhips with others who are important to me: my role as a daughter, sister, and friend. (Well, maybe I struggle with my MIL, but you know...) My point is that I feel good about everything, BUT MY WEIGHT!
It's my ONE thing. Why is this?
I woke up last night thinking about this. I'm not sure where the moment came from...but I suddenly realized something.
I am successful at things I try to do my best at. I rarely attempt anything that I will fail at. Hence, the perfectionism.
I suddenly realized that my "perfectionist" quality may be holding me back in the weight loss department. I think I'm not trying as hard as I could because I don't feel I can be perfect.
That's when it hit me:
I don't have to be perfect...just better.
Let me repeat that:
I don't have to be perfect...just better.
I can just do better at exercising.
I can just be a better size clothing.
I can be in better shape.
I can eat better.
I can FEEL better.
Not to expect perfection...just be better.
I think this may be KEY for me.
What do you think?
J
I think... amen! I am a reforming perfectionist:) I often have to tell myself, in many walks of life, to let go. Now my irony is that I am a control freak too but the one thing I could never control - my eating! Anyhoo, one thing I learned from the wisdom of others on here is that it really is about progress, not perfection.
ReplyDeleteI'll agree...AMEN! Just do better, as will I. Progress. Baby steps. Let's go :)
ReplyDeleteI love love love this post!
ReplyDelete"I rarely attempt anything that I will fail at." I am the same way. And I agree with what you are now thinking. Yup, you can do better and you will be happy with better! Baby steps!
Jennifer
http://www.wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/
Definately agree. I have had the same thoughts in the past. It was a true wake up call for me. Why couldn't I commit to MYSELF in this area like I would other areas. You are not wanting to wake up your dream self tomorrow J. You just want to wake up knowing you are at least doing things to enable you to perhaps one day get there. You make choices that see you go down the path towards the dream rather than make choices that will do the opposite. Go for it!
ReplyDeleteYou might be on to something Jacycee! I'm a perfectionist too. But, I've failed so many times at trying to lose weight, eat better and exercise on a regular basis. I tell myself I will fail before I even start...b/c it's what I've always done. I can do it short term...but not for long. This weekend we went camping and I went to town w/ the food. I've been going downhill the last couple of months. Anyway, I kept telling my husband he needed to get a better picture of Brady and I, cause none of them were good. I finally realized it wasn't him, it was me. Today is my MONDAY and I woke up ready to make a change and make a little time to take better care of myself. I will keep your quote in mind- "I don't have to be perfect...just better" ~Jaycee
ReplyDeleteLovely post. I agree completely. I believe there is a fine line between being a perfectionist and being a procrastinator...if we think we can't do something "perfectly" we don't really put as much effort into it as we could or don't try at all. I hear it often with friends who want to wait til the 'perfect' time to begin working out or eating better..I'll wait til after the holidays or after the weekend or after so-and-so's bday party (cuz I know I will eat cake). But you're right on, if we just did a little bit better today then we did yesterday it would all add up and move us in the right direction.
ReplyDeleteI love this post! Describes me to a "t". Maybe that's what's making me stall so long and why weight loss attempts in the past never worked for me. Thanks so much for the insight. Off to do something "better". :)
ReplyDeleteLove this! really awesome way of looking at it!
ReplyDelete