Friday, March 4, 2011

Life

 Life happens. The way you live your life is very important. Sometimes you have to help others. Sometimes people need you. Sometimes things make you very, very busy.

This week my life got in the way of my weight loss efforts. I was counting points, but not exercsing much. NO TIME. This happens, right?

Two weeks ago my grandfather was put in hospice. He passed away on Saturday. The funeral was Wednesday. I have spent hours and hours on the road driving back and forth to my grandmother's house and to the hospice. Many hours sitting beside a hospital bed holding a hand. (All those posts this week, were pre-written.) My family needed me. I needed them.

My poor grandmother.

I feel comfort for my grandfather. His quality of life was not good. He would not have wanted to live like he was living. I know he is healed in Heaven now and that comforts me. But, my grandmother was married to him for 66 years and made very few decisions. They were the generation where the husband ruled the home... She is lost. She is an angel. One of my favorite people of all time.

The poem "The Dash" was read at his funeral...

by Linda Ellis

I read of a man who stood to speak
at the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
 from the beginning to the end.

He noted that first came the date of her birth
and spoke of the following date with tears,
but he said what mattered most of all
was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time
 that she spent alive on earth
and now only those who loved her
 know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own,
the cars, the house, the cash,
what matters is how we live and love
 and how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard;
 are there things you’d like to change?
For you never know how much time is left
 that can still be rearranged.

If we could just slow down enough
to consider what’s true and real
and always try to understand
 the way other people feel.


And be less quick to anger
 and show appreciation more
and love the people in our lives
 like we’ve never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect
 and more often wear a smile,
remembering that this special dash
 might only last a little while.

So when your eulogy is being read
 with your life’s actions to rehash
would you be proud of the things they say
 about how you spent your dash?


© 1996 Linda Ellis


I like that a lot. I hope you do, too.  He was a special man. I have very special memories, and I feel blessed that my children knew their great-grandfather. His dash was awesome. His life was filled with love.

****************************

In not so important news, I weighed in today. 176.2. I lost one pound. I seem to be on a steady pace of one pound a week. I know, I know...that's good, but I am going to try to lose more than that this week. I would like to pick up the pace a bit again. I like to see good (faster) results.

Have a great weekend.

Hug your loved ones,
J


9 comments:

  1. Hey, (((hugs))) to you. I love the Dash. It's so, so true. My hubby was reading over my shoulder and he said, "176 - hey, she's skinny." I will go hug him now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you so much for sharing the poem. It is amazing and a life lesson for us all. I lost my Grandpa just over a year ago and my grandparents were married 64 years. Like your Grandma, it was difficult for my Grandma to find her place. My Grandpa did everything for her (including drive). My Grandma has had to learn a lot in a very short time, but she has adjusted well. It's been a year of growth for my Grandma and she has gotten involved in several things to keep herself busy. Praying that your Grandma (in time) will adjust as well. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for your loss.

    Life does get in the way of exercise sometimes, but it allows for it again in the future. You can only do what you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your grandfather. 66 years of marriage...what a wonderful example your grandparents are.
    Thanks for sharing the poem with us...it really hit me hard. I've been really impatient this evening with my family...and I need to go make up for that.
    Big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so very sorry for your loss. Stay strong and you are doing well by being with your grandmother to comfort her. It is sad and hard to see but be strong. time heals. I am so glad you are reaching into your faith for comfort.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry about your Grandfather! What a blessing to know he is in heaven!! I'll pray for your grandma. I know that is SO hard. xoxo ps great job on the 1 pound!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you and your family at this time. Keeping you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really sorry to hear your news J. I can't imagine how it feels to lose a loved one. My grandparents are 90 - so I know I'm going to experience this in the next decade, but I get upset just 'thinking' about it... :( Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!!