This past week I've spent a lot of time with my in-laws. My kids adore them, and I like them too. I really want my kids to grow up with tons of memories shared with their grandparents. (We're really close with my family, too. My parents are keeping my kids ALL next week while I return for pre-planning. We call it Camp Nana & Pop.) Anyway...I've been with them lots! My SIL has been bringing her boys and my husband's cousin has been bringing her two kids to swim at my in-laws' pool. We do lunch and just hang out for 4-5 hours swimming. Fun, right? Well, last week the weight battle between my SIL and MIL began again. You may remember I've already been witness to one of these arguments, and I even spoke up. You can read about it here.
So here's the scoop: My SIL shows up with a new bikini. It's cute, a little showy. But, that is her. She is VERY confident and loves to be the center of attention. (We are very opposite.) Anyway, she still has the tags on her new bikini. She wants me and the cousin to give our honest opinion. We all agree she looks good. We tighten up the "bra" straps and she prances around doing her model walk. She's about a size 8 or 10 with a little extra weight in the middle, but she looks great, really. I'm proud of her. Well, she's about to cut the tags off and MIL has a heart attack. She tells her she is too fat to wear that swimsuit.They have a battle of words, SIL cuts off the tags, and swears to wear the suit every time she comes over. I keep my mouth shut this time. I admit ...I was afraid of the attack turning on me. There I was 187ish in my swimsuit. I was too vulnerable to stand up for myself. So, I just said to SIL, you look great. If you got it, flaunt it! (lame, I know).
Then, a couple of days later, we're back at the pool. MIL brings out a long skirt for SIL. She says, I bought this for you because you need to start dressing for your age. SIL is 43. SIL says loudly,"I'm not old. I like to wear short skirts. I don't want that one." Then, they battle it out about SIL's age and weight. I stay quiet again. Although, I tell SIL to shrug it off when MIL goes inside. I'm weak, I know. But, I'm the in-law remember. I can't battle with these people.
So...my girls spent the night with the in-laws last night. We all have a pool date again today. What do I do about this? I know SIL will wear the new bikini. She's just like that. It's taken me a long time to get used to her personality, but I really do love her. She is completely "What you see is what you get." She thinks she is fabulous and makes no bones about it. I wish I had an ounce of her self-confidence. Should I let her fight her own battles while I cower in the corner??? Or stand up for the curvy girls???
I don't know why MIL is so obessesed with weight. She is *TINY*. In fact, she probably needs to gain a few pounds. But, I'm not sure why she is worried about other people's weight. There is a woman at our church who I am sure weighs more than 350 pounds. My MIL can't stop talking about how she just needs to put her mind to it and lose the weight. She has no concept of the weight battle. Well, sorry for rambling.
A few days ago, Jessica gave me the Versatile Blogger award. Since I just received the same one earlier in the week, I'm going to stick with my list of 15 blogs that I've already completed. OR, you can check out the blogs that I follow. I will make a list about me, and once again ....Thanks Jessica!!!
Here's 7 things about me:
1. I love to read People Magazine. It comes on Friday and I have to read it cover to cover that night. My sister gives it to me every year on my birthday. I think it might be my favorite present. It is the gift that gives all year long!
2. I have boxes and boxes of pictures and momentos that I need to put into albums...I have been avoiding that project!!
3. I love to jump on trampolines, but don't like to do it in front of other people.
4. I try to have a pedicure at least every two weeks. It's my gift to myself. :)
5. I like to wear FUN jewelry instead of really expensive stuff.
6. Stationery is my weakness. I love personalized stationery. But, for some reason I never use the last piece. What am I saving it for?
7. We get lots of catalogs in the mail...I usually stack them up on the counter with the intention of looking through them when I have time. However, 90% of the time, I end up throwing out the entire stack when it piles up too big.
HAVE A FABULOUS DAY!!!!!!!!!!!
J
Ah, family drama. I have certainly had my share in the past few weeks. You are very lucky to have a good relationship with your in-laws and that your kids do as well:)
ReplyDeleteUgh...I would be one to cower in the back. I like to live drama free :)
ReplyDeleteA friend gave me a mag subscription this year for my Bday and I have loved it...will use that for gifts in the future! :)
Fun info about yourself!!
ReplyDeleteI think you're smart to stay out of SIL & MIL's arguements. You supported SIL great by letting her know what you thought out of earshot of MIL. Now if MIL was getting on you...different story. :)
Have a nice day!
My MIL is the same exact way! She's been thin her entire life and judges other people on their weight. DH told me its because her dad (DH’s granddad) always made comments about her weight and how she needed to stay thin, etc. She’s never said anything to me about me, but I just wonder what she thinks/thought of me 20 lbs ago.
ReplyDeleteHey, are we related? That sounds like my MIL!!!! She has told me to change my shirt before!!!! She's lucky I didn't show up in a thong bikini, all 249 pounds of me, the next time! :)
ReplyDeleteSorry about the MIL! I have FIL problems... although no one, not even my husband knows it. I just keep the fact that I want to scream every time he speaks to myself, lol! ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm a stationery addict!
How completely frustrated you must be. You're a strong woman than I am keeping quiet, ha ha.
ReplyDeleteWow! What a fun story. I wish I had an ounce of your SIL's confidence too. I'd be just like you (but I probably wouldn't have stuck up for her the first time). If she's that confident, she can fight her own battles. I think the MIL just likes to point out her opinions. She would probably say something if the SIL was in a one piece.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your "things". I love reading things like that. Just shows me that I'm not the only magazine & stationary lover! :-)
MIL/SIL/FIL/BIL ... thats why they all end in ILL BAWWAAHH :p
ReplyDeleteOh girl, don't even get me started on the ex ILL's I had. I shoulda had a clue the first time I met 'em, MIL said they were taking us to Tahoe (they live in Northern CA) to a "show". Me, 22 yr old, and from tiny town in TX. Clueless as to what a "show" is. "Shows" in TX are movies (as in movie theater, as in wanna go the 'show?'). So we drive the 2 hrs to Tahoe, sit in one of those show rooms with 1/2 circle dinner tables, eat a fabulous dinner, the lights go down....and the show girls all come out. TOPLESS! O.M.G.! I had to sit for 1.5 hours next to my FIL looking at boobs all night.
I shoulda walked out and never looked back....sigh. Woulda,shoulda, couldas...
hugga mugga's to ya, J.
I get what the other commenter said about allowing SIL to battle it out herself with her Mom. Weird, sad, & I wish it would stop. It is strange. But SIL seems like she can handle, and probably good that you just encouraged her when MIL was out of earshot.
ReplyDeleteHOWEVER, I think you have every right to intervene every time gossip starts. Regardless of the subject, but in this case, why don't you start with the topic of the (overweight) woman from your church? You can make a lighthearted objection, ("well, weight loss -and even weight gain for some ppl- isn't easy as we all know. "Janie" sure is sweet though isn't she? Next topic!")
Ya know, every single time it comes up. Repeat as needed?! OR, you have a choice to leave the area every time someone is 'dissed' in your presence. Perhaps eventually everyone will follow your example. Who knows? I have left the area when my MIL was discussing something inappropriate, and I didn't SAY anything, just left, but she belittled me on my way out of the room. Ah, well.
ps-I think SIL is actually 'playing' to MIL, knowing it will create a ruckus, but so what. Good for her!
Thanks for sharing.
Chrissy
Oh my gosh! Your list could have been MY list....every single thing except for the pedicure! My people comes on Friday too...my husband gets it for me every Valentine's Day! I love jumping on the trampoline...but don't dare do it w/ anyone around b/c of my big boobs! My favorite earrings I own were $5.00! I love to buy stationary...and NEVER use the last sheet...not sure what I'm saving it for?!
ReplyDeleteAlso, my MIL is super skinny...when I hug her it feels so weird b/c she is that boney (is that a word?)...she eats little bits and walks a couple of miles everyday. Sometimes when I'm around her I feel like a giant person!
I could never wear a bikini...maybe b/c I've never had the body too....I think it's great that your sil is that confident. Although I've always thought as we get older we should cover up a little more!
I love your list! I have hundreds of pics on my computer, that I yet have to print off so you are a step ahead of me.
ReplyDeleteYour MIL sounds like real treat! So sorry. I hate being present fo arguments. I think you are right (and not a coward) to not intervene with your MIL/SIL. It probably isn't your place. I like how you praise your SIL and I think that is just what you should do.
Oh my I am so glad I am not her DIL! I don't know what I would do in that situation. I hate any kind of confrontation so I would most likely remain quiet.
ReplyDeleteMy mother (and father, for that matter) are your in-laws (not actually, but... you know). The deal is, say whatever you want, I doubt you will change her mind at this point in her life. You can encourage her to stop gossiping, you can encourage her to stop berating people, but it stems from the way she feels about herself. She is to be pitied.
ReplyDelete