Saturday, July 31, 2010

Say Thank You

The nicest thing happened to me. A student from last year came by to see me at Open House. The girl's mother handed me an envelope. After things settled down that evening, I was able to read it. Basically, it was a thank you note for the impact I had on her daughter last year while she was in my class. It was SO NICE. The kind of nice that makes you tear up a little. She spoke of her daughter's improvement, her new positive attitude regarding school, and how much they loved and were going to miss me. Then the bonus at the bottom, she told me she was sending a copy to my principal!!! :)

I love the cards at the end of the year that are for my eyes only. Cards I have kept for the last 13 years. They are priceless and filled with thankful and loving words. Those kids made a difference in my career as much as I did in their education. You need to write those, too. It makes us keep going and keep getting better. Those cards tell us the hard work is worth it.

I not tooting my own horn. I just want you to know, positive feedback is good for everyone. And telling someone's boss how good they are...WOW!

I'm encouraging you to do that! Tell your child's teacher if they do a good job. AND, tell the principal! We need to hear stuff like that. So often, we only hear the complaints. The poor teacher down the hall had a complainer all year long. ALL.YEAR.LONG. It wears you down. While parents came to her defense verbally, and I know she's a great teacher, it was hard on her. Wouldn't it have been great if those "happy" parents wrote her a letter and let the principal know that she was awesome!

It's not too late for the teachers you had last year either. That would be an awesome way to start their year!

So...if your child has a teacher you LOVED, tell her and her boss! It'll make her day! Teaching is tough. Good teachers work really hard! I'm a parent, and I am definitely taking my own advice.

If a teacher makes a difference in your child's life, make a difference in hers.

:) J

A comment was left that was a great idea...send a copy to the superintendent as well! Thanks, Melissa!

8 comments:

  1. Great post! I don't think teachers get enought credit. So many parents, especially nowadays, gripe and complain. Glad you received some recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sweet and I am so glad that you received this nice appreciation from your student.

    This is a good reminder for us to show appreciation to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree with you more. I did a post on this subject in May or June (can't remember) and posted the note I wrote my son's teacher last year. My son's teacher told me later that my letter really touched her and she framed it and hung it in her office. There really is no better gift than a handwritten note letting someone know how truly thankful you are for what he or she had done...I think the art of writing thank-you's has unfortunately fallen to the way side. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a TA at a large university, and I recently received a thank you card for the first time in 4 years ... from a college student! It brought tears to my eyes - these are the moments to remember! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are 100% right. I also recommend sending a copy to the superintendent to be put in their file. When people are interviewing them in the future for promotions, that could help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, if your child has a lovely teacher, who has really helped educate and motivate your child.. you SHOULD say 'Thank You'.
    Sadly I am one of those parents right now that the teacher dreads seeing! *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so wonderful! I am so happy for you that you received that much deserved letter! A great teacher is a BLESSING!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is very cool! I always wrote my children's teachers notes but I didn't send a copy to the principal. I wish I had!

    My daughter who is in college writes her favorite prof's thank you notes at the end of the semester.

    You are right everyone likes to get praise!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!!