Good weigh-in today! :) So, it was a very BUSY weekend.
On Saturday, I walked out of the bedroom and my husband says, I can tell you've lost weight. He may have been "just being nice" but it still made me feel good. I'm a bottom heavy girl. My waist is okay, my thighs...oh my word! Well, lots of work to do there! I'm going to try to run more this week and see how the scale looks. Maybe less bread too.
We played on the lake. My favorite thing--out in the boat, in my bathing suit, riding over bumpy waves (lots of jiggle)...it was fun. I really do love it all (except the bathing suit part), but living on the lake, I have no choice about the b.suit part! I kept telling myself...insecurity isn't pretty...the whole time, and tried to enjoy wakeboarding and tubing with my kids. Yes, I do all those things!
That evening, I tried to channel my friend over at Bring Pretty Back. I had to go to a 50th birthday for my dear friend. It was an outdoor party, and I knew it was going to be hot! Usually, I cover up with cardigans and too big clothes, but I decided to improve myself. I put on a black sundress (I know black doesn't sound sundress-y but it was--it had straps and showed my arms---something I haven't done for a long time.) So, I really tried to be confident in the dress. I think I did an okay job. The skirt on the dress was A line so it was very forgiving...that helped! :)
Now, on Sunday. We did our usual church routine. I had to speak in front of a large group which I usually don't do either. I teach children, but I really don't like to talk in front of adults. But I did it. Everyone said I did great...it's over, thank the Lord!
We always go out to eat after church with the in-laws...here's where I got a backbone. Hold onto your seat! You know how my MIL is always making fat comments and not just about me; oh, she got lots to say about your weight, too! When she gets on a roll about overweight people, I always want to shout, there's one sitting right here in front of you. But anyway, this really isn't about me this time. My sis-in-law is her target. Now, C (we'll call her), is about size 8, skinny legs, maybe has a little weight around the middle but not much, still wears a bikini, and isn't shy about anything. C is wearing a black/white tank dress. She finishes lunch and this went down.
MIL to C: You need to suck in, you're getting fat.
C: Mother, you are the only one who thinks I'm fat. Stop saying that! I'm tired of it.
MIL: You look better thinner.
C: I am thin. Everyone thinks I am thin. YOU are the only one who says these things to me.
C looks at me and says: J, do you think I'm right about this?
ME: I think you look great!
C: See?
ME to MIL: It's wrong of you to say that to her. She looks great. If you think she if fat, I can only imagine what you say about me behind my back! Women can be pretty in all shapes, sizes, and colors.
ME to C: You look great!
and we walk out of the place.
We all hug and get into our cars. My hubby says, well I'm proud that you finally got a backbone with her! :)
I'm glad too. I hope it doesn't weigh too much!
I'm leaving for the beach tomorrow. Wish me luck....oh, the good eats, temptation!
Lord Have Mercy!! Hopefully the MIL leaves you alone. She's brutal. I'm afraid I'd have been unable to hold my tongue. I admire your self restraint.
ReplyDeleteWOW what a MIL you have. Good for you for speaking up!
ReplyDeleteIt amazes me that people will say such things to each other! Good for you for speaking up!
ReplyDelete(Thanks for commenting on my blog and letting me know where to find you!)
Alright! Good for you to take a stand. I bet that made you feel better about you too! I can't imagine having to face that on a regular basis. Keep it up. Once you believe it, she'll believe it!
ReplyDeleteWow, some people sure do speak their mind when they just shouldn't! I'm sure your sister in law was thrilled to have someone stand up for her, even if your MIL didn't seem to be affected by it.
ReplyDeleteWell, ya done good. So glad you and your SIL spoke boldly. Interesting that everyone hugs later like nothing happened. I don't get MIL. I do not understand why she thinks this is acceptable talk.
ReplyDeleteI think the convo could go THAT direction next time. Ex: "I'm not comforable with or it really isn't fair game/(not appropriate, whatever) to discuss someone's body shape or size, regardless of underweight or overweight. Next topic please!"....You can keep it lighthearted. Cut her off and END IT every time. NOT nice. And also, I think some of this might be more powerful coming from your husband, her own children. (Maybe C IS her daughter?) This is so unhealthy for any children to hear, also.
wow, that is sad, MIL really has some issues.
Have you every mentioned HER size to us? I was just curious.
I was proud of you reading your comments about being/feeling pretty & confidence. I may have found that blog from you, and I have been enjoying it too. We can all use that kind of encouragement! Thanks, Chrissy
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!! Heehee! Channel me! OH! That made my day!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteKristin
wow your mil would make me wanna say some not so nice things! shes not nice! good for you for speaking your mind. have fun at the beach.
ReplyDeleteummm...wow! GOOD FOR YOU!!!
ReplyDeleteHowever, the hubby could stand up too. Just saying. :)
WOW. Good for you for speaking up, I'm sure SIL appreciated it as well.
ReplyDeleteHey I wear a swimsuit as well - bought a new one for this year in fact. I may not be the tanned bikini beauty in it, but I sure have fun with my family and don't really care as much what anyone thinks. I could get skinny, but I'm still pale as a ghost. So, since I'll never have the beach body you see in magazines why should I let my weight stop me from enjoying it now? :)
Good on you for having fun with the family at the lake. I hope the beach was fun.