Friday, June 18, 2010

Me, Discoveries

I am learning new things about myself during this journey.

  1. I was always an "all or nothing" dieter. I thought there was no room for error. No slip ups on the diet, exercise at least one hour a day...only one day off a week. Of course, most of this was pre-babies. I've only been successful once since having them. Can you call it success when you've gained it all back? You know what I mean. I would mess up one day, it would lead to the downward spiral, then off the deep-end! Then, I would quit. This time, I'm trying to remember, I'm not perfect and that is okay. I can take small steps. I can change slowly. This is for a lifetime. Not a quick fix.
  2. I am reluctant to change everything. I feel guilty for making my family eat differently. They don't have problems. I do. I firmly believe I would be a healthy weight if I ate normal portions and exercised...and DID NOT sneak food like chocolate, chips, cookies in between meals! Oh, my! I think I am a food-aholic!
  3. I like knowing what to buy at the store. New recipes scare me. First, I have to find the stuff. Second, I have to have it all written down. Third, what if we don't like it. What a waste of money. With a hubby and 2 little kids to feed, I like them saying, "Mom is the bestest cook ever!"
  4. I make excuses. I don't like this about myself. Vacations, sick kids, etc. Today, my oldest child woke up sick. Doctor visits (why does it always take forever??) and pharmacy visits---I feel like my day is almost over. I find myself making excuses as to why I can't exercise. Don't worry. I'm going for a run (thanks for the inspiration Barbara).
  5. I like to eat. I feel like I missing something when I don't get to eat what everyone else is. Like life isn't fair! Isn't this the silliest thing you have ever heard?
  6. I want results, and I want them now! That sounds funny coming from me in light of what I've just written above! I want to be skinny, but....I make excuses, eat a lot, etc. etc. etc. Come on, self.
    Get with the program. Weight Loss=Wait Loss
  7. I need to believe in me.
Thanks for your kind comments.
J

10 comments:

  1. Wait a minute... Did I write this! ha! Every single word I could have wrote myself!Ahh! I do stuff like that all the time~ the electric bill! And I really am a good cook! If I would have known it was for a recipe book believe me I would have sent in a "real"recipe! hahaha!
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for nipping round and leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate that :).

    I gave up on the cook two meals instead of one, I cook what I always cooked - I just plan what I eat ahead of time and count it through my tracker. Sure it means I am on a 301 programme - 3 meals a day - 0 snacks and 1 day at a time, and for some that doesnt do it -- but for me it means I eat what I always ate - I dont have to cook different things for me and 'them' - and I dont fall prey to that 'why cant I and why can they' thing....I suppose the trade off is that I have to put all my own recipes through the tracker - and I might find that my normal portion is just a wee bit bigger than it oughta be :) but once having done it - I am home and dry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Discovering things about yourself while you are on this journey is one of the most important things. Acknowledge "flaws" or potential pitfalls and then systematically remove them from your path. By recognizing things about yourself the chances are greater that you will change them. Enjoy this new stage of healthiness in your life. Show your kids what a strong and healthy momma should look like.
    One more thing- while I know that trying new things and recipes is hard, do it every once in a while. Some of my favorite foods are things I was afraid to try. (Some suck too ☺, but you gotta take the good with the bad).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check, check, check, check and check. Ditto to everything. :)


    You're taking care of it now and that's the important part. Coming from a slow loser, it will come off, but you can't quit. It's great to take this time to look deep into yourself and deal with these emotions. It's not always easy, but it's good for you. :)

    Have a nice run and an equally nice weekend!

    p.s. I lost weight before simply by exercising and watching portions, so that can be done without putting your entire family on a diet. No one else in my family struggles with weight issues, or love of food issues like me, so I hear you really big on that one too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 7. I think you already do believe in yourself. You wouldn't have been able to put that list together if you didn't!

    I can really relate to #1 and #6.

    This far into my journey (1 year 4 months almost 80 pounds) I can tell you that the fat, the weight, the physical improvement is nothing compared to what goes on in my head. This journey is mostly a mental journey--and I have been writing lists like this the whole way. I know that's why I will succeed--and that's why you will, too!

    :D Thanks for the nice comments on my blog. Greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We do tend to get in our own way, don't we? But introspection like this is a key element in finding out the "why" of it so that you can figure out how to get yourself around it. Looks like you are well on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can definitely relate to #1 and #7. I was totally an all or nothing dieter! I would make one little slip up, and I'd be off my diet for months! But that's because the thought that this was a lifestyle change had never entered my mind. When it finally did, and when I started believing myself, was when I was finally successful!

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey - i just found your blog through a mutual 'follower' and - wow! Can I ever relate to this post! I've found myself sharing traits #1, #5 and #6 in the past. I've been trying to shake myself out of that thinking for the past 4 weeks or so and have been blogging about my journey so far. Please stop by for a visit! I'm adding you to my blog list. :)
    Rae
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, thanks for visiting my blog! Try the green monster, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how good they are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for visiting my blog:) The best thing about getting comments from new readers is that it leads me to their blogs and I have found some great ones that way. I just subscribed to yours and will be reading more. I chose to comment on this particular post because I can identify with so much of it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!!