I used to have a buddy in blogland (Jae) who always talked of "sledgehammers." She has stopped blogging but her words are still with me. She referred to the sledgehammers as the ways we sabotage ourselves. I think that may be what I am doing to myself here lately.
I know that I cannot meet my first goal of 150 by summer (one month away for me). Therefore, I'm sabotaging myself. Like...well, I can't meet that goal, I might as well really blow it!
Do any of you have this *crazy* kind of thinking?
I need to adjust my brain! I need to realize that pushing ahead will only get me closer to that goal in 4 weeks. It is okay to fall short. But eating will only cause me to have to start over!!! DUH!
I have recommitted this morning. Through quiet time and prayer, I have promised myself I will not sabotage me. I am worth the committment. I want to be just as excited about this as I was in January (hmmm...maybe I should go back and read those blog entries). I know I have the ability to do this. Emotional eating doesn't have to consume me. I can be in control.
J
***PS--I made it through yesterday without a slip up! :) Yay...maybe I'm back on the train. Wish me luck today.
Yes, I suffer from all or nothing thinking and am working on that. I am also a big believer, now, in not setting weight as my goal since I can't control the scale. Instead I try to focus on things I can control, like my eating or exercise. And if I do those, the weight will eventually follow.
ReplyDeleteNo I never think that....NOT! Of course I do!! I too want to stop it! We do deserve to be healthy and fit. We can do it!! Just have to stay focused and reach for our dreams!
ReplyDeleteI think everyone struggles with the self sabotage. Why do we do it to ourselves??? I know it's so hard to meet a goal, but what is your ultimate goal? Is it a specific number? Or, is it eating in good health, free from overeating? The numbers will come in their time. I've come to learn we don't necessarily get to choose that time, and giving up control of that has been quite freeing. I am with you 100% with the recommitting today, May 1st. We're doing this and I'm praying for you.
ReplyDeleteYou are NOT alone in your thinking. I am the exact same way. *sigh* Why do we self-sabotage? Why is it so easy to throw in the towel? I'm also an emotional eater and the excuse queen. I've been idle since October. Now that's a long time. Ugh! Please don't be like me. Jump right back to it and continue on. You may not hit your goal of 150 in the next month, but you'll certainly be closer to your goal if you keep on keepin' on. :) Set a personal challenge for yourself. Open it up to your readers to join in. Do what you've got to do (yes, look at me telling you to do something I haven't done yet...it's easier said than done). :) I'll put forth the effort if you do...deal? :)
ReplyDeleteI understand completely! I decided to take the scale out of the equation this month. I'm concentrating on eating clean and exercising. You can do this. We won't hit 150 by June first but we'll both be a heck of alot closer if we buckle down...
ReplyDeleteYou can do this!!
I do the same thing...and have the same mindset. I went all day without carbs today...and it felt really good. This weekend at the beach we ate so much crappy food...that our last night their was not enjoyable to me...I felt sick from stuffing my face all weekend. I am 10 lbs heavier than I was at the beach the same time last year. I am done feeling sorry for myself. Anything worth having is worth fighting for....of course I will not be fun to live with the next few days as I try to get all the sugar out of my system! :)
ReplyDeleteOoops...last night THERE....is what I meant to say!
ReplyDeleteHi J,
ReplyDeleteAh, yes, my fave love/hate relationship: Sledgehammering.
Thanks for mentioning me. I've been away from blogging for a while but am back. Life's been challenging. And I've learned a few things about self sabotaging. I'll be talking about the next few days.
So proud of you for your perservance and fighting for YOU! ODAAT!