Today was a very sad day for me. A well-liked, dedicated, friendly, loving mother of a student at our school died today. She was a year older than me. She went to bed with a bad headache and never woke up again. They discovered some amniotic fluid caused a clot that went to her brain...she also has a one year old and a 4 week old...let me explain. They were blessed with their first little girl. They tried and tried and tried to have more children. They suffered through many miscarriages. They decided to adopt. God brought them a beautiful baby boy through private adoption (just finalized last week). About a month after the little boy arrived, she found out she was pregnant. A miracle baby. Another little girl. A lovely family of five. Oh, how they love the Lord, too. I just cannot believe it.
Why? I believe we cannot explain these things. There is no why. No explanation.
I have mentioned before that I work at a Christian school. There was a meeting after school. Of course, afterwards, several smaller groups broke up to pray for this father. The huge tasks before him. The bright first grader...her questions, fears, ...her mommy was very active in her life. She was at the school several days a week. Some people kept saying...The Lord has a reason for doing this. It will be revealed. Is this how it is? I'm not sure that is how I feel.
In Jeremiah 29:11 it says, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
THIS, I believe. God does have plans for us. He knows what is coming. But, does He cause stuff like this to happen? Not sure I believe that part. Can He make good come from this? Yes, I believe that. Does He control all? Yes. But, I also believe He lets life happen, too. Accidents, health issues. However, I do believe he is in the miracle business. I cannot explain why some people get the miracle and some don't.
I might ramble here a minute.
I have mentioned before that I was critically injured as a child. I'm not going to go into detail. It would give away my identity. I was somewhat famous for it ...it was nationally covered believe it or not. People at my church would say, "God has a reason for choosing you." Hmmm. Did He? Was it just an accident and God used it in my life? I think I believe that. An accident happened to me. It was bad. God saved me. A miracle. Then, He used it to enrich my life rather than hinder me. Perhaps I am biased on things like this because I can't bear to think that God chose me to get hurt badly...I am not sure.
Or...my husband. Did God give him cancer? I don't think so. I think he just got sick. God was greatly involved in healing him though. I believe that. BUT, I can't explain why another little girl in my class is without her mother due to cancer (she died last spring after a very long battle).
I believe we are all God's children. He does not want us to suffer. I think He hurts when we hurt. I think He helps or wants to help us through the hurt. We have to turn to Him. Sometimes easier said than done, I realize. People endure terrible tragedies.
For some reason, I just cannot make myself believe that God "made" this happen. Did He know this was coming? Yes. Could He have stopped it? Yes. Could He have saved her? Yes. I cannot explain why life just happened. I think she just had a blood clot in her brain. These awful things happen, but God has a plan for the new family of four. He wants them to prosper and have hope.
God is almighty and all-knowing. I teach this. I believe this. Some things I cannot explain. Maybe I'll ask Him about them one day.
What are your thoughts?
Go kiss and hug your loved ones,
J
Sometimes there is just no rational explanation. I am so sorry for their loss.
ReplyDeleteI have spent so much time over the years trying to figure things out because I am the type who likes answers. I like to understand. And I have learned that no matter how much I want to I will never understand God's plans. But I still try. I do believe that everything does happen for a reason. Most of the time we will never know what those reasons are. We just have to have faith. I am sorry for your loss, and for the children and husband who lost an extremely important part of their lives. I will pray for them.
ReplyDeleteJennifer
http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/
Hi, j... my goodness... ((((BIG HUG)))) to you this morning. I am so very sorry for the loss of this beautiful momma friend of yours. How devastating. My gracious! The poor family, husband..children left with such a whole.. my gosh. So very sorry, lovie.
ReplyDeleteI don't believe God makes things happen either, but I do believe He walks with us through what life brings. That's His promise to us. I think we live in a system (life) that is hard and it's harsh, and at times down right evil.... And I know that tho I might not understand this life, and all the things that happen in it, the thing I KNOW that I can count on is my Abba God... and that HE IS GOOD. Tho I might not understand what GOOD He is doing at this moment, and trusting Him and HIs heart comes into play... I do know He will always be with me, and He will never leave me, and He is committed to walk through it all. I love your heart, and am praying for you, and this sweet family right now. hugs.. Amy
I have a hard time with this too. I have posted on my own blog several times about my Dad passing away the week before my wedding. It always hurts me to hear people say God does everything for a good reason. I can't understand how anything good came from losing my Dad right before such a special day.(Though I know there is never a good time to lose a loved one.) I know that God has helped me through the grieving progress.
ReplyDeleteI hope that you, your school, and especially that sweet family can find comfort in each other's love...and the love of people here in the blog world.
I so sorry to hear that.
ReplyDeleteI think Heavenly Father has a plan for us all. His plan is perfect, and he will never give us a mountain we can't climb. My mother passed away when I was 10. I grew up having faith in his plan for me, my family, and my mother.
My condolences go out to you and your community. What a sad time. I'm glad that you all have great faith that will help you get through this.
ReplyDeleteI appreciate all your thoughts on the subject of "when bad things happen, even to good people".
I know there are questions we will all have about such things. I also know that God does not allow anything to happen to us that we can't overcome with His help. I am sure that as the family turns to God, they will be comforted.
Oh, sweetie, so so sorry about this. It is so horrible for your whole community. What a loss.
ReplyDeleteWhat are my thoughts? Interestingly, they mirror yours. I do not think we serve a God who wants to harm us. And I get your deep thinking of God's power to stop things etc. It can be a bit overwhelming to try to process all that, bc I don't think there IS a clearcut answer here on earth. So we continue to trust, pray, believe, and maybe one day when we meet Him, we 'ask'. :)
Blessings to you, as you navigate life through all of this sadness right now.
Chrissy
I'm sorry for your loss. I believe that God allows things to happen, but that he doesn't cause them to happen. Bodies are natural, they fail sometimes.
ReplyDeleteI pray that you will find peace in this time of sadness.
When ShortKid was born one of the ladies in church did the "God has His reasons for all things" and "He sends special children to special parents". To which I replied, with lots of tears, "then I don't want to be special!". Bless her, I wasn't ugly but was grieving and hurting.
ReplyDeleteOne of the other ladies in the church (not knowing what the previous had just said) came to me and said "God cries with you, Jae. His heart is hurting for you and with you....thats what Fathers do. When our children hurt, we hurt."
I think its human nature to desperately look for reasons things happen. Our minds have a hard time processing the reality that things happen and sometime there are no answers to 'why?'. God, however, takes the most tragic things and works His love through all of them. But that doesn't diminish his heartache or ours to the fact that sad, tragic things happen in this world.
I love this post, J. You are precious. I'm thankful God has crossed our paths and praising him for how he weaves his tapestry. God holds this family in His hands, I'm praying for them and that the journey ahead be as gentle as it can be under the circumstances.