The main reason I decided to start my blog was to be 100% completely, truly, open and honest about my feelings about everything. At first, the only thing holding me back was my fear someone I knew would read the blog and figure me out. I've kinda gotten over that. I did a pretty good job of speaking "my truth" and it felt good.
I live my life as a filtered person. I think most people do to some extent. We can't just walk around and say EVERYTHING that we think and feel. Think about it for a minute, it could get ugly if we did. As a teacher, I have to filter my comments to parents. There are certain ways to say things to parents about their children...and it should be that way. There are certain things you should not say to your boss, parents, neighbors, etc. I worry (too much) about what people think of me. It is a huge fault of mine. I know it. At times, it drives my husband crazy. I get it from my mother. It was drilled into me and my sisters as children...I'm not sure I can overcome it now. I am much better, though, than I was 10 years ago. It is because of this, that I am an OVER-filtered person. I don't speak my mind very often for fear of what others will think of me.
Do I think it is wrong to have an opinion? No.
Is it okay to agree to disagree with someone? Yes.
I cannot help my filtered-ness. Here's where I am going with this....I am beginning to feel like you are my friends...therefore, I am starting to become filtered on here. I looked back over my posts. I am boring. I have become "safe." I don't want to offend, shock, or cause anyone to think negatively of me. I know...it is ridiculous. I am acting ridiculous.
I love reading blogs that are completely truthful. You know the ones. Those are the ones that you read and you go ...."wow, I can relate. I've never told anyone (or very few people) this out loud before. She's brave to write about this." You also know the blogs that are filtered. The people that hint at something but keep details private. I always feel like those people have someone they know well reading their blogs so they have to filter. That is one reason I have tried to stay anonymous. I want to get my feelings out. My purpose was to talk about my feelings...work through a year of losing 50 or so pounds.
I am going to stop filtering myself. I am going to talk to you like I talk to my husband or my friend Cindy...no filters for you anymore...get ready! I have lots of sarcastic thoughts....harmless, meant to be funny at times, but I shock me at times. Other times, I smile for the people, but inside I am upset or sad...I want to write about that here. I need an outlet. This is my place. My feelings. My thoughts.
Unfiltered,
J

I'm filtered for the exact reason you think - a few people in my life know about and read my blog. I regret that. There are things I will not say because of it. I almost started a second blog that would have been totally anonymous, but decided it would take too much time.
ReplyDeleteWooohhoooo!!!! Jump on in, the water's amazing :) I love this post! I remember one of the first posts I ever did was to say "I'm going to be true to myself and the folks who read it. If I'm having a sucky day, I have to write about it, when things are good, I will celebrate."
ReplyDeleteThere is something cathartic and freeing about writing my truth. I'm sometimes a 10 yr old in a 52 yr old body. I get reeeally exited, disappointed, hurt, sarcastic, grieving. Its who God made me, its how he made me to be. And for years anytime I did/acted like the Me He created, I got slammed, verbally put down, etc etc.
I came out fighting for Her after the divorce. I love people who love me, for who I am, not for who they want me to be.
So, so proud of you. All of you in your unfilteredness!!!!!
You go girl! I can learn a LOT from YOU! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking I really like the unfiltered J!
ReplyDeleteI am looking forward to reading more from the new, unfiltered, you! I find that I live quite a filtered life in the 'real world' and have a hard time letting my guard down even when blogging. At the same time, it's quite freeing to be unfiltered.
ReplyDeleteYaaaay! Bring it on girl!
ReplyDeleteI gotta tell you...I am the same way. I am always worried about offending people. I have lots of thoughts and opinions and only a select few get to hear them!
Jennifer
http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/
Hmm curious to see what might be different.
ReplyDeleteReady to read the unfiltered version. Bring it. :)
Chrissy
Woo hoo! I can't wait to read your unfiltered blog posts!
ReplyDeleteI can totally relate to the reasons why we become over filtered. There are times I definitely regret telling my real life family and friends about my blog. Mostly, I just try to forget they know about it and be as honest as possible.