Saturday, April 16, 2011

Peer Pressure

I was never one to give into peer pressure. Never one to do something just because everyone else was doing it. I was a very responsible high school and college student. Not perfect, but very good most of the time.

I wasn't big on the partying that took place all around me. As insecure as I am about my weight, I could be around those who were drinking, smoking and having sex ...and still not do it. I never felt that kind of peer pressure.

However, I fell victim to peer pressure the other day...PEACH COBBLER. Several people at school know I am on Weight Watchers. As we sat down at a Teacher Appreciation celebration, my friends were raving about this peach cobbler made just.for.us. They would take bites and close their eyes in the deliciousness of the sweetness. Pretty soon, they were begging me to try it. I caved. One bite led to an entire serving. It was so good, but I regretted it instantly. Not because I can never have peach cobbler. Of course, I can in moderation. I regretted it because I didn't want it. I wasn't even hungry. I had my points set for the day. The cobbler pushed me over my count. I usually try to plan for those things. I have to learn that I am going to be in social situations where people will offer me goodies. My weight loss is not a big deal to them, but it is very important to me.

I have to keep that in the forefront of my mind...

Just say no,
J

4 comments:

  1. That's a tough one. It's so easy for us bloggers to say what you should have done. "Be assertive!" "Tell 'em all to take a hike." Yeah, right. In the same situation, we'd struggle too. I've been in that situation (or similar to it) and I can tell you what worked for me. I took a piece a cake and wrapped the paper plate up in a napkin. Then I said I'd enjoy with my coffee later in the afternoon. I took it back to my office and it quietly disappeared (into the trash). In my case another staff member had baked it herself and I didn't want to flatten that act of kindness. No regrets, no hurt feelings and no empty calories. Don't beat yourself up over it. A portion of peach cobbler isn't a full blown binge and I'm sure no damage was done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This situation often comes up for me. It's a hard one - I sympathise with you. Don't beat yourself up - you'll be all the more stronger for when you no doubt find yourself in a similar predicament in the future. I'm coming across comments like "You know you can eat this Hannah, one time isn't going to hurt?" - no they're right. But my one time is often planned, and what they don't realise, is that I just can't factor in all the unplanned treats. I choose to eat my chocolate easter egg in the evening with a coffee for example, so yea, I have to refuse the cake offered to me in the morning. And then I have this overwhelming need to apologise when faced with this situation. Why? I dunno. People don't seem to like it when you don't partake. I'm sure they're not purposedly sabotaging us - but they are ignorant often in the knowledge that 200/300 calories over our daily limit causes us to gain. And we're soooo food focused anyway that we've already 'spent' in our head, the calories we are going to be consuming this day... lol. It's a complicated business weight loss sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post...I love that you acknowledged the fact that you CAN eat peach cobbler and that this diet isn't about forever depriving yourself of the things you want. And I love the fact that you realized (and admitted) that the problem was that you didn't WANT the cobbler.

    It's true though, not many people will understand this journey you/we are on and the issues that you/we are dealing with on a daily basis. But as the others stated, this won't make or break your diet...but you now have the awareness that may help you in a similar situation. Remember this feeling but don't beat yourself up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh bummer. Kind of a weird situation to be in. Makes me wonder why ppl strongly encourage, PUSH you to eat something. hmm. I know they 'mean well'.

    I think, J, that it is good for me to read so that I can be aware and not do this to someone. Hmm I wonder if we ponder long enough if we might all be able to recall ourselves doing this to someone. ? Not sure.
    But not needed or helpful, and a bit of an eye opener.

    Sorry you gave in to peach, uh, peer pressure, and here is to being stronger next time. Sigh!

    Happy Easter!
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!!