Will I ever be at a weight where I like pictures of myself????
We just returned from vacation...a lovely, lovely trip. I took hundreds of pictures. I was in maybe 25 or so of them. Guess what? I have almost deleted all of them. ALMOST.EVERY.ONE.
Will my kids even realize I was on the trip??? In each one, my eyes went straight to me. Immediately, I found every *bad* thing about me. Delete. Delete. Delete.
I don't give anyone else this option. I think pictures of everyone else are great. I love candid shots of my loved ones...why can't I be satisfied with me??? What weight will I like my picture?
Isn't this sad! I know it! I can't stop critical self.
How does one truly begin to love herself? I know, I know....I can spout off all the things you are probably going to write to me. I believe those things too. God created me. I should love myself. I know all of the right things...I am still so critical. I MUST work on this!
I want my kids to have the pictures of our memories to enjoy later. I'm going to try to avoid the delete button in the future...
CHEESE,
J
Cheese, you're too cute!
ReplyDeleteNow, back to you deleting your pictures...I sure hope you kept a few for memories sake. I don't know one woman that likes looking at pictures of herself...okay, maybe I do know one...(my sister!) I wonder how we can see ourselves in the eyes that our children and husbands see us? So hard to do. I'm sure you are looking great...sometimes if I turn the picture to a black and white, I like it better!
Okay...going to be a little harsh here... Please stop deleting pictures of yourself because you don't like how you look. God forbid, but what if you passed away and your family doesn't have many pictures around because you were so dissatisfied with how you looked?
ReplyDeleteYou don't have to print them out, maybe just keep them on the computer or a disc, but your family loves you the way you are and they will want those memories around in the future.
I truly feel like my weight loss journey began when I started loving myself, as Geneen Roth put it in an article I read, "if you never lost another pound."
I hope you can come to that point. It is the most freeing feeling in the world!! (And your family will be glad to have those memories that you were on that amazing trip with them.)
hmm in the future how about trying to limit yourself to cropping? And (I speak to myself on this one too) how about not immediately deleting unless say, eyes are closed or something loud and obvious like that? Maybe, just maybe you will wish you had kept it, it will be a fond memory & viewed differently next time you see it, or it was the best of the worst..etc.
ReplyDeleteLately I have been trying to tell myself I will be glad for these "BEFORE" (or "during") pictures!
Thanks for your honesty,
Chrissy
I know where you are coming from...it's one of the reasons I have always been the picture 'taker'..it kept ME out of most of the pictures. But, I look back now and I have very few photos of me experiencing all of the fun things I've done...no "proof", ya know?
ReplyDeleteAnd I totally agree with Leah. I honestly think that most people do not have REAL weight-loss success (and keep it off) until they truly care about who they are...and if you are full of hating your body then how can you really care about it. As Geneen Roth says...we tend to take better care of the things that we love. Conversely, we will neglect the things we hate (our bodies, our thighs, our back fat, our stomachs)...so you can go through the motions of dieting and exercising, but MY experience is that once I figured out that I was pretty cool and worthy of my own love, I was not only able to drop weight but I didn't have to fight so hard to do it.
Pictures of ourselves are so hard to look at sometimes....but instead of deleting...keep them in a hidden file. You may want them for memory sake later. We are always our own worst critic!
ReplyDeleteI'm totally going to echo the "Don't delete yourself" sentiments others are. Seriously :) I understand you don't like yourself much, but you bet your children and your husband do. And one day these pictures will serve as means to remember the good times (even if you don't feel good on the outside). Oh for sure, work on the outside, change the outside, try and get to a point you 'feel good' on the outside because believe you me, you don't mind pictures. Just put your pictures away privately where no one with prying eyes will see them and those that will love you regardless. And I also hope one day you do truely learn to love yourself. I try to speak to myself the way I would speak to a daughter (had I have one) and it helps me to be gentler on myself. xx
ReplyDeleteI've had a couple of blogs for years now. One of them is FULL of candid shots while out and about with hubby, friends and family.
ReplyDeleteHubby recently bought himself a point and shoot camera, and it terrifies me. Why? Because he's started blogging...and I won't have control of which pictures of me get posted. Out of 100, I might like 1 or 2. Ugh! :-)