Monday, April 18, 2011

Are We There Yet?

We recently took a vacation...about a 7.5 hour drive. That's the furthest my kids have been on a road trip. Of course, they are normal children so they asked "Are we there yet?" about a hundred times. I was thinking about how funny that is...all kids do it, right?

But it also go me to thinking about myself. I have been so focused on the end of my journey rather than the steps I am taking to get there. It's like I am saying "Am I to my goal weight yet?" a hundred times a week. I just want to be there so badly...just like kids going on a fun trip. I want that destination.

I tell my own children and my students that Patience is not just waiting. Patience is having a good attitude while you wait.  I haven't applied this to weight loss recently. I need to embrace this journey. Embrace the small victories daily. Saying no to 3 cookies at lunch, saying no to peach cobbler, saying no to soft drinks, relishing in my pants getting too big, loving a good sweat during my run...those are the little places to celebrate along this trip. I'm going to try to focus on the small stuff and quit worrying so much about WHEN I will get there. I'll get there when I get there, right?

Remind me to reread this post when I frustrated with the waiting...

:)
J

6 comments:

  1. I love it...embrace the journey and enjoy the small stuff along the way- fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this post! I'm going to adopt this attitude. Thanks for putting it into a word picture that made sense to me. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!!