Wednesday, April 13, 2011

High School

I wasn't the most popular girl in high school nor the least. I was definitely part of the "in" crowd, but I was also in a show choir and AP classes. Hence, I had a very diverse group of friends. BUT, I always felt a little different...older than them might be the best way to say it. I've posted on this before...being an old soul. I think it comes from surviving a near fatal injury. To be honest, I'm not really sure. I just never felt as free, or carefree, as my friends. I was aware of a much bigger picture, I guess you could say.

I struggled with my weight back then, too. Nothing like I do now. I guess I fought 15 pounds here and there. My senior year, I ate fat-free jello pudding and a baggie of pretzels every day for 2 meals for a very long time. Border line eating disorder? maybe.

I was definitely insecure. Trying not to be.

Where am I going with this?

Today, I had to walk over to the high school on our campus. As I was walking down the hall, the bell rang. Out poured all of the students to change classes. All at once, I was back in high school. I swear it was like a time warp. Those feelings of insecurity and worrying about what other kids think of me came rushing back. It was weird. I was worried about my appearance on a hallway full of teenagers!!!!

Where do these feelings come from? Will they ever go away?

I wasn't really worried about those kids (but I am glad I teach little ones). But, I instantly remembered those feelings and it wasn't  good. At times, those same feelings creep up...in social situations.

I'm eager to begin loving me...no matter what. Maybe it will happen when I grow up! :)

Eating well,
J

7 comments:

  1. I love how real you are! I think you just wrote my story in high school, except my fat-free jello pudding and a baggie of pretzels was just a bag of licorice purchased from the concession stand. I only weighed 105 pounds back then. I think it's safe to say...starting signs of a possible eating disorder? When I visit home (IL), I always stop in and have lunch with my niece (who will be starting in high school next year). I understand those insecurities and felt them when I visited her at the middle school. Do kids really judge us adults? I don't remember thinking that my teachers were fat or skinny. I do remember if there was a cute teacher though or a mean one. :) Just know you're not alone. Others feel that way too. Not sure why those insecurities creep up on us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not popular and just had a small group of friends. Funny thing is that now there is a facebook group planning our 30th reunion and I am already getting that sense of cliques again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi J,
    I know exactly how you feel. 'm new to this blogging thing & I'm reading your blogs and I'm truly inspired. I used to be so happy with myself and the kind of person I was. Now I'm ashamed of what I've become. I'd love to begin loving me too. I just don't know where to start.
    Sending Best Wishes Your Way, Nik

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously feel this way every time I walk the halls at the high school I work at once a week. It's so bizarre! I'm glad that I'm not completely crazy and that someone else experiences this too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you thru Kerris...

    I had to stop by my sons school and had the same experience...i wondered too when I would outgrow my insecurities...i wish I could figure out why it bothered me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thought of being back at high school makes me feel that way!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!!