Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Say wut?

Yesterday, I dropped my kids off at their grandmother's house. I then went shopping...ugh! I can't wait until I love to shop. Anyway, as I was trying on clothes (including sizes M, L, 12, 14 and 16...why are clothes so different?) I caught a glimpse of myself in the 3 way mirror. I could see my front, side, ...BACK! Oh, my. It was bad. I was overwhelmed with feelings of "IS THAT ME?"

I left with my purchases thinking to myself that it won't be long until I have to come back for smaller sizes. I've said that before and I am still wearing those "big" clothes, but...this time I mean it. By next summer, I will be smaller. thinner. healthier. confident.

So, anyway, I digress. I left the store and headed to the OBGYN. Yes, this is what I do on my day off without my kids. :) But, I'm all about the yearly exam. We all need to do it. The doc comes in. I am silently begging for her to bring up my 20 pound weight gain. She doesn't. Did I want to be reprimanded...I don't know why, but I wanted to talk about it.

I dive in. "Did you notice I have gained 20 pounds in a year?"

She looks back over the chart. Oh, I see that now, she says.

I say. "I am doing something about it now. Exercising, keeping a food journal, and trying to eat right."

That's wonderful, she says. I look at her. She's gained some weight. I think I have made her feel uncomfortable. She does not want to discuss this. She looks like she wants to run.

But, I need some advice. I keep talking about my plan. What does she think?

You are not obese, she says. (oh, yes, I am...I say)

I tell her I am tired, my back hurts all.the.time, I'm trying to walk/run for 45 minutes ( I go on and on)...am I okay doing all this?

She says, sure, you can do that. Maybe it is the weight making your back hurt. (We go through the spill of how my body is changing b/c of my age. So now, I'm OLD and FAT!  I will be 36 soon. Over. The. Hill.
Whatever.)
She continues...

This is a summary of what the doctor said: There has been research lately that shows exercise does not help you lose weight. It has physical benefits: stress reduction, increased muscle tone, helps sleep patterns. But, it won't help you lose weight. It will help maintain your weight. Your diet is the key. It's 90% of  losing weight.

Say wut?

Well, that's a first for me. Now, relax. I am still going to exercise. I believe it does help. I've had success with it before. But, I was thinking...what made her say that to me?

Then, she admits..."I've been dealing with my weight, too. I paid $39.95 to a website to help me count calories. Life is so busy, I have a hard time fitting in exercise and healthy meals."

So, she is  struggling to. Looking for answers.

My goal was 50 pounds by February. I am still aiming for that. BUT, I am being realistic. I will do my best. I am not going to do "extremes" ...I may have to *settle* for a pound or two a week. But, that's OKAY. One step/pound at a time. I will do it.

Going to workout :),


PS---thanks for the advice on the handweights! :) You guys are the best!

6 comments:

  1. I am torn about this idea. The theory is that calories in vs. calories out is all that matters and that should imply that exercise would cause weight loss based on the math. My trainer has said something similar to you doctor - she says 80% is diet. I have found for myself that the eating does seem to be a much bigger piece of the puzzle. But then I come back to the darn math. Sigh. I agree with you though that even if it does not cause weight loss, exercise has so many other benefits. And I can only imagine what my weight would be if I stopped working out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tosca Reno, the author of "Eat Clean" makes the same claim. She says 80% of our bodies appearance is nutrtional choices, 10% exercise, 10% genetics. But, the stress relief of a good run, and the muscle it has built are things that cannot be measured by the scale. It does give me hope, if I have to skip a running day, it probably won't make a difference on the scale.

    You're just a baby! Wait until you hit 40! Then, you will notice some changes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard somewhere (I think Oprah), that nutrition is 80%. That has always been music to my ears, since I'm not able to do a lot of working out, because of my RA.

    I think you look great. We are our own worst critics. If you don't like the way you look now, at least you know that you are doing something about it. Someday (soon) you will love the way you look in those mirrors! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. So... in all.. how did the examination go? I hate having 'girly' examinations! lol
    Losing weight IS 80% food dependant. You can lose weight by eating and not exercising, it just takes a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love your focus! Slow and steady, committment to doing the right foods. The right foods, in the right proportions, plus exercise equals weight loss. And new clothes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I feel like I don't have the energy to lose the weight. Sometimes I feel like I'm focusing too much on LOSING that I get wrapped up in the hope of it all that when I gain a pound I feel sick to my stomach and depressed. Like why bother even trying, it's not working anyway!?!?

    I was like you when I lost my first 60...but after gaining it back again, I just am so depressed...it's so easy to lose heart isn't it?

    I hope you can taste that healthier, smaller lifestyle you so want for the Summer!! I know it's that taste for it that helped me accomplish the 60 pound loss. Now, well even though I WANT to taste it again, it's not as powerful the second time around. And I haven't found anything this time that is of as much motivation.

    I wish you well...KEEP TASTING THAT SMALLER YOU and it'll happen!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!!