Tuesday, September 14, 2010

3 or 5 or 10?

Okay, I need some advice here. I'm working out. I am trying to tone up my arms after my cardio. BUT, I do not want my arms to bulk up...I want slim, tone arms. That can fit into any arm holes on any shirt.

I'm thinking not this...













But, rather, something like this...











Do you know if I should be using 3 or 5 or 10 pound weights? What about when I am using weights on the Shred? Give me your advice....

Also, if I want to do some weights with my run, should I do it before or after the run?

I'm excited for the first time lately...about losing this...toning up...looking good...and inspiring others.

Send advice,

11 comments:

  1. If you're lifting weights for your arms that you can do 3 sets of 10-12 reps with...you are fine. Every so often...you will need to increase the weights (like every 6-8wks) b/c you will get used to those weights. You will only bulk up if you are doing extremely heavy weights where you can only do a couple reps at a time. I just had this discussion w/ one of the trainers at the gym I go to. Hope this helps. There is also a lot of debate on which order you should do things first....cardio or lifting. I prefer doing 5 minutes on the treadmill....then lifting and then back to cardio. I read an article about burning more fat if you lift first. Who knows?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kerri - just start with a weight that you can handle for a few sets of 8-12 reps. With time you will need to increase the weight to keep challenged. I would guess that lifting weights after your run would be better because you'd already be warmed up, but what do I know! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to split my cardio into 2 sessions before and after my weights. Before to get you lose and after so you don't just stop cold turkey and end up more sore. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on the workouts. Weights will really help you get the body you are striving for. I am no expert, but here is what I do. I attend a strength training class at my church. We do 12-24 reps using light, medium and heavy weights. With each set of reps we get a heavier weight. The ones I am currently using are 3 and 5 pounders. I use my 5 pounds for both medium and heavy. I am hoping to move up to 8 pounds soon, which is what most ladies use for their heavy weights. And none of us look like that first pic! Some do look like the second pic. Our instructor occasionally uses 10 pound weights for her heavier weights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is very rare for a woman to bulk up! You should lift as heavy a weight as it takes for the last few lifts of your set to be very hard to you. But not so heavy that your form suffers. That's my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The trainer told me.....

    Whatever exercise I do second, whether it is cardio or weights) will be tougher because the muscles will already have been worked. I find it easier to do cardio first then weights. I dont think you have to worry much about lifting too much. As long as you are doing high reps (the shred)and not huge muscle building exercise (bench press maybe?) you should be good. I am using 3lbs for the shred but at the gym I do bicep curls with 30 lbs(total). The shred is high reps so use a smaller weight. At the gym they tell me to do the exercise with smaller weight until it is no longer a challenge. Then bump up the weight. If you feel the muscle is getting too big back down some maybe? Hope this helps? I am far from a body builder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unless you are eating massive amounts of protein and specifically training for bulk, you're not going to bulk up. (If you do, you might want to get a hormone check with your OBGYN.) There's an awesome book you might find helpful: New Rules of Lifting for Women.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know, but I've heard about the book Cammy mentioned. I'd read it.

    Also, I agree with someone else up there that you can probably do as much as you can while keeping good form.

    It's good to hear you so upbeat! You are getting it and I look forward to hearing more about it all real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What my trainers have told me is that you should warm up on with cardio for 5 to 10 minutes, then weights, then full cardio. The reason being is the you don't want to be fatigued to do your weights so you can lift the weight and reps you want successfully but, mainly so that by the time you get to cardio all you have left to burn is fat because you've already exhausted your energy.

    You won't bulk up from just doing general weight sets. As in 3 sets of 15 in a cycle of 5 or so different weight lifting exercising.

    ReplyDelete
  10. to tone use lighter weights and more repetition. to bulk up use heavier weights and less reps.

    I run with 5lb weights. See my workout video from a few years ago when I lost 60lbs, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdm9__1b9PA

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely read New Rules of Lifting for Women. It is a GREAT routine. You will not bulk up as a woman unless you are eating an extreme diet as someone above mentioned. Go for the heavier weights. You don't need to waste your time doing tons of reps with lighter weights. You won't see the results you will by doing a few reps w/less weights.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!!