Wednesday, July 10, 2013

What's that noise?

Ummm...do you hear that?

That sound would be my kids! For some reason, my children have become extreme noise makers this summer!!!

My oldest especially...AND she's a girl! I did not realize 10 year old girls did this. My little six year old boy students make car/gun/laser/whatever noises all day long...but girls? not so much. Anyway..she has turned into some kind of drummer or rhythmic music maker using her body...she slaps her legs, belly, tables, and makes the weirdest sounds with her mouth!!! I find myself warning her with stupid words like..."you know you can't make those noises when you go back to school, right? It will get on your teacher's nerves."

I go from laughing hysterically to begging her for a little quiet!!!

Then...she gets the younger one going...I'm tag teamed!!!

The other day, after a special mommy/daughter day of bonding, we were driving home and I thought my brain was going to explode from the noisemakers and the ever present "stop touching me" "I'm not touching you" "yes, you are" "mooooooommmmm, she's touching me" dialogue taking place in the backseat. When we arrived home:

Me:  Girls, I need about 30 minutes just to chill. Go back to your rooms and straighten up, play, read or something.

Girls: We did that yesterday.

Me:  Mommy needs a little downtime to just relax.

Older girl: But we want to be with you. (oldest one snuggles up to me, laying on my leg and propping her cute little head on my shoulder, looking up at me with her big beautiful eyes)

Younger girl: we do mom (she gets on other side--now I'm surrounded during my chill-out time.) we'll just sit here quiet

We begin to let mom look at People magazine for oh...about 15 seconds

Oldest: can we raise our hand if we need to talk to you?

Youngest: yeah...

hand raising starts, noise starts again...chill-out time never happened!

 Sometimes I wonder if being a teacher is helpful with my parenting...I really do think it is. I mean, I should totally know how to handle this. But this summer I seem to be craving more quiet moments than usual. I daydream of snuggling up with soft sheets and comfy pillows and a really, really good book! My husband works long hours so I am with my children (or someone else's children) pretty much all the time. Don't get me wrong- I love them! But...I sense that I need some quiet reflection time. So...that night, I LOCKED myself in the bathroom. Laid on the closet floor with my book! I was alone for an entire 15 minutes before the banging began...MOM! Let us in...what are you doing?

Have you ever felt this way?

My wish for you...
quiet moments to re-center

Jess

2 comments:

  1. I take my hat off to anyone who's a teacher!
    Kids noise can drive me batty!

    YES I have felt that way on hundreds of occasions! I face school holidays soon and I now have it down pat on keeping my two quiet!

    It's actually on my blog today (Friday) how I do it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son has been doing the same to me when I ask for a little quiet time.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!!